Sign in to follow this  
Zal

Mylar or ? Stencil?

I have a customer wanting me to cut some stencils for airbrushing bikes. He asked if I would be using Mylar. Is this the most common material? Does anyoine have any experience cutting this stuff?

Thanks!

Hello,

Mylar is usually that mirror finish vinyl you can buy in silver, gold, and other mirror colors including patterns.

I have only seen self adhesive versions.

We have a huge number of SignBlazer HotShot (top level of SignBlazer) users who are either extremely well known or famous air brush artists.

They all use frisket to my knowledge. I have never heard of an airbrush artist using Mylar.

Many use light card or even paper.

Some even use application tape.

Some use vinyl.

Why SB HotShot?

Well if you are an airbrush artist it takes as long to do a sample or proof of text as to do the real job.

This makes it hard to show clients what they are going to get. 

With HotShot you can emulate any airbrushed text easily in seconds.

Then print this out to a desk top printer and give it to the customer.

Here is a link to one of the most amazing & famous Air Brush artists in the world

Rolf also teaches in Australia.

http://www.customairairbrushing.com.au/

See his examples of text and you can see what can be done in SB HotShot.

Hope this helps.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

I use simple avery 1 time use stencel material for air brushing. now understand i only use this primarily for lettering. i will use it though for graphix that i will be repeating, or a pattern. it also works well to establish duplicate outlines ie painting the same thing on both sides of a motorcycle tank.

otherwise it does take too long to bother. With design tim its better to load up the paint gun and go. there are alot of advantages to using the stencils though.

without a doubt paint mask stencil is the way to go. Make sure you slow down your cutter to a crawl though. the low tack nature of the material will lift off of the backing easily.

Im sorry if this is a little late for you, but I like using mylar for stencils it holds up well and is reuseable but I am not sure if you can cut it on a plotter it is pretty thick although there are different thicknesses that can be purchased. I used to use a stencil burner I had bought from an art store it looks like a soldering iron with a pen tip but to cut a lot of stencils would be tedious work.  Your best bet world be to pick up some mylar and try to cut it most likely with a 60 degree blade.

Guest Terry

If you have an old solder iron take the tip out and put a xacto blade in, you just need a longer screw to tighten the blade because the tip is larger than the razor blade.