Sign in to follow this  
kfgreen

Cutter stopping mid cut

Hi All.

Another noob here.  Got the MH871 a few weeks ago. Went down after my second cut :thumbsup: (Said static got it) US Cutter sent me another chip and cutter was working again. Yeah : )  Well, the newest problem is it is NOT completing cuts. I was trying to cut a 3 panel scroll piece for my wall and the cutter keeps stopping mid cut. One the first attempt it stopped midway through the second panel.

Hand cut the little bit left of 2nd panel and then I went into inkscape and redrew the 3 panels ( basically cropped down to 1). I've tried 5 times to cut this panel and it stops in a different place every time. It is so frustrating. And when cutting at 24" X 24", I'm wasting a load of vinyl  :'(  I cut the entire 3 panels super tiny and it cut the whole thing. What could be the issue?  I'll attach the file for any advice.  I'm using a laptop with xp and and usb to usb connection. I have a usb to serial on order but it's not here yet. I'd really appreciate any advice, as I'm super confused and totally discouraged. Oh, using signblazer elements. 

PS I've enjoyed reading all the posts here, been a lurker for quite a while. 

Thank you again,

kgreen

scroll last panel lg.svg

scroll last panel lg.svg

Sounds like it could be a memory issue with the cutter - the Refines aren't known to have huge internal memory.  Several people have cut smaller tiles  to get thru this.  After the static issue you did ground the stand to the cutter right?? also put the cutter and computer on a surge suppressor - spring is here

Grounding...yep, grounded the cutter properly...and yes to the surge suppressor. I'm still nervous. Every time I get near the machine, I think it's going to die again.

Tiling the design.  The original had 3 parts. It stop cutting literally mid way. I divided the cut into 3 different files and it wouldn't cut the last file. It seems like it is a pretty simple design.  Should I divide the design up further? I would think that would be a big pain in the rear?  I might be confusing your suggestion but will do some research.  Thank you for the help :thumbsup: I appreciate all I can get!

Thanks

KGreen

also , best to turn the cutter OFF and back on  between cuts.  That way the previous data is dumped. 

KF, can you give us an update on how things go with your serial to USB adapter. I am having similar issues with my MH1351. I have ordered more memory and hope to get it soon for installation. I am looking at getting the serial to USB adapter next if that does not work.

I also plan on grounding before I attempt my next cut.

I have already wasted a nice 36" swath of vinyl on my last effort. I plan on just pulling the cutter carriage and running it all the way through on the old bad cut. Once I am comfortable that it will complete the job, then I will try it again.

I installed the 4 MB memory and grounded the machine this weekend. It went further into the cut, but still stopped well before finishing the cut. Unfortunately being a holiday weekend, I was not able to get the USB to serial adapter this weekend to try that. I am going to hook the Refine up to an old desktop I have in the basement to see if that makes any difference before spending the money on an adapter.

If it work, I might just leave the old desktop in the work room with the Refine. I just wish I knew what happened as I have cut this same image in this size previously and have never had an issue until after changing to new equipment due to my old laptops motherboard failing.

Still no solution. I put the refine on an old desktop with the usb to serial adapter and it seemed to work, while the same adapter on my laptop did not. I might put the laptop back on Win XP or Vista and see if that makes a difference.

I will be putting the cutter on the old desktop to complete the cuts I need to do, but I would still like to be able to use the laptop as I do not want to have to lug the desktop around in the small space I have for a work room.

Why did my old laptop have to die? It was working so well on it when it was still working!

I actually got everything running. I had to download new drivers for Windows 7 for the usb to serial adapter and that seems to have resolved the issue. Even though it said everything was running fine it was not when I first installed the driver.

So now, I am running on the new 4 mb memory upgrade, fresh install of SBE and usb to serial adapter. I was able to cut my job last night and did not even have to reset between cuts. It was fantastic.

I had a large job stop about 1/4 of the way in yesterday, I was running it at about 12/s and bumped it up to 24 and it was fine, I'm guessing it was a memory issue like stated above. The faster speed means it doesnt have to hold those commands in memory and can keep accepting more commands from the programs.

Hey everyone,

I missed a bunch. I walked away from the machine and vinyl for a few weeks in frustration. Tried using the serial adapter but couldnt get it to work.  I had to walk away...I've found that I can be a bit short tempered when it comes to new machines not working. I know I'm learning and I have A LOT to learn ahead but this thing is like a pissy little brat. 

Okay, Sirquack.....you got more memory for your cutter? usb to serial with new drivers and newly downloaded SBE? Well, I'm going to try to get the serial to work tonight again and see how it goes. I will also try the faster speed as Eli suggested.

Will keep everyone posted!

Thanks,

K

Yeah KF, I had to go and get new drivers for the USB to serial adapter. That solved the problem no communication to the device. The memory is something that I am a believer in now even if it did not solve the problem itself. It is well worth the $40.

Sirquack,

Ran it tonight with no problems. Did longer designs, small designs and multiples of the same designs. Ran it faster and turned it off between cuts. I kept my hand on the vinyl nervously though. I read somewhere that it can make a difference if you use yourself to ground it. Let's just say I didn't get very much accomplished...but I did get what I need to done. : )  I have it grounded but I'm still just waiting for another problem....(bad attitude I know). 

I did get the serial adapter to work with it and maybe that is the difference. I'd love to expand the memory, but is that available for all machines? I have the 871...hmmmm. I'd try anything to make it more reliable (at least in my mind!)

Thanks again for sharing all the information you have so far!

KF

I had the same problems as you 2  and found out it was the usb connection to the cutter...when i changes to serial port  everything worked 100%

Just an update:

I've been running with the new serial adapter for a while. (Maybe a month since last post)

It still stops mid cut. I found that if I keep my hand on the vinyl while cutting my hair just about jumps off my arm and head but It finishes the cut. Also I accidentally placed my hand on the 2 screws closed to the key pad and got lit up pretty good and it stopped the cut immediately.  Even with all this static it still cuts, thank GOD!  I'm not sure how else to ground the thing, but I'm sure it's misbehavior is static related. Was wondering if anyone else grounded those top screws to something?

So ultimately I just kick back and keep a hand on the vinyl while it cuts. Mind you that this is the Oracal 631. I used the outdoor 651 and had no issues so maybe the matte is more static-ky.  I'm still learning this stuff : ) My second hump I'm trying to cross is why all my designs no longer come over from inkscape in eps. The used to fine but now I'm having to take them and do all sorts of craziness. Seems to happen when I have text and a shape in the drawing. 

Well off to plunder the archives some more! Thanks everyone!

K

On the MH series refines you need to ground a ground wire from the stand to the cutter to dissipate the charge built up in the stand.  the cutter itself should be grounded thru the plug - might want to check the house wiring also

21 minutes ago, rebrighton@aol.com said:

I had the same problem and I upped the speed of the cutter and that solved my problem

That doesn't help for static, and if you don't ground your cutter to the stand you will fry the z-chip.