pyrophire

Printing on vinyl with inkjet printer

LOL!!! Well its just up here in Toronto so its a short trip for you too LOL!

yea, as long as i hand over my first born at the border.  I *might* get her back upon re-entering the states..that's debatable though.  I haven't been to Canada in a long time let alone TO.

Got my printer & the contour cutting issues solved, printed & cut some decals last night & they were completely dry the moment they came out of the printer. no smudging no bleed. The only issue im having is the app tape seems to pull some of the black outlining off the print when removing it.  The guy I got the printer from said he was running matte black cartridges in it (photographer), im wondering if that has anything to do with it??

I'm deciding on a printer for multi printing purposes.....brochures, price guides, advertising samples, as well as printing on vinyl.

My question about the Epson 1100 is this.....How does it fare with inks? Does the printer drink ink the way some of their smaller multi-functions do?

I tried some of this supposed inkjet compatible vinyl from hyaz and I dont like it.

http://www.hyaz.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20vinyl.html

I have made many water slide decals with good success but this stuff is not working.

Prints great. Its sorta like a flat finish on the surface and after printing on it you have to spray a clear acrylic enamel to protect it.

So I did. Looks great, and applys just like a vinyl sticker.

Now after a few months on my samples laying around I noticed the edges of every piece has curled up.

And then I looked at a sticker I put on some glass and it has done the same thing. The edges lifted up.

Looks like this vinyl is having a reaction to the clear spray over time. But the water slide decals works wonderful with the same spray.

Maybe it would work with their expensive clear spray.

Guest debogus

I didnt like the thickness of the inkjet receptive  Ive tried so far.

The regular vinyl is thinner and is holding up just fine. Just like the cheap vinyl I printed on.

Plus I can make it conform to compound curves easier.

When ever I upgrade to the 1100 the 30 is going to be the experiment of solvent inks or additives to the ink to get it to stick on regular vinyl.

OR maybe just a heated platen .

34ford

cover it with some simple transparant vinyl to test for the edges bending upwards.

Paco

34ford

cover it with some simple transparant vinyl to test for the edges bending upwards.

Paco

Hum...I will have to give that a try. It sure would be a lot simpler and with no paint smell. I've never used any transparent vinyl.

Will go looking for some.

And speaking of thickness of this vinyl I found out that a front load HP printer has difficulty pulling it thru due to it turning the paper over.

But a rear feed Epson works great.

Dennis,

Any transparant will do, maybe someone can send you a piece or check local vinyl store.

Straight paper path will always be more convenient for the paper to be fed.

Paco

I may buy some FDC 4200 from H&H. They have some 8" x 10yd for $10.75

Does the Cobra Epson Workforce 1100 CIS is this Pigment Ink or is it Pigmented and do any of the two have UV Protection?

Sorry for the DUM Questions.

Is there a supplier that stocks Papillo's products, or must you order through Papillo's website? They have 11x17 in. vinyl sheets, so that would be great for the 1100. Where is the best/cost effective location that you get it from?

It seems to be rather pricey, and wondering how it will affect price margins.

I buy rolls and cut them down, its pretty price up front but the mark up makes up for that.

Lot of good info here,

I just bought the 1100 and tried printing on some oralite 5600 reflective material. It looked great up till the end where it smudged coming out of the printer and the curl in the paper messed it up.

Also it has been about an hour and it is not dry at all.

Any advice appreciated.

I am trying to make some reflective decals for a customer. This material is supposed to be inkjet friendly?

Do I need to apply a flat laminate prior to printing? is that even possible?

Jason

Most "inkjet compatible" vinyls are referring to solvent or eco inks. You need to look for "aqueous" in the description; this usually refers to being pigment or dye ink compatible.

I use an Epson Workforce 1100 with cobra pigment ink CISS. Here's the vinyls I've used with great success:

-Papilio waterproof inkjet vinyl

-Papilio soft white waterproof inkjet vinyl

-Sihl 3988 (love it, my current fave)

-Mactac JT1958P (want to get ahold of some more, I really liked this one too)

Are you using solvent based ink?.....

? i just bought it from staples on sale for 129, had been watching for a sale.

anyways, i don't know what the ink is? i'm guessing not solvent

I use an Epson Workforce 1100 with cobra pigment ink CISS.

is this the same type ink, or just a more economical system

It's also pigment ink, though not Epson's, it prints beautifully.

Richard at cobra ink gets much praise around here, t-shirt forums and the vinyl forums for good reason. He sells printers with the CISS internally installed (so the only thing hanging out is the external ink and waste tanks), provides great customer service before and after sales (call or email him; he'll make sure you get what you need) and his prices are reasonable for what he offers. I can't say enough good things about Richard and the service he provides, and this isn't even mentioning the ink savings. A set of Epson ink cartridges from amazon or newegg goes for about $68. A set of 5 bottles (2 black, one cyan, magenta and yellow) of 4.4oz pigment ink from richard costs $60.45 and that refills the ink cartridges plenty of times (8 or so I heard, but I haven't tested; still on the ink that came with the printer). So you're way better off with a cobra ink CISS installed printer. Having to buy ink cartridges twice would more than pay for the difference between buying the printer stock and buying it from richard with a CISS installed.

Your not going to find any solvent based ink to work in the printers not made for it. It would eat the head up.

Only the wide format vinyl printers is made for the stuff, and they are $7000 and up. They also have heaters to heat the vinyl prior to printing.

The only vinyl your gonna be able to print on is the Papilio inkjet vinyl. And these people carry it. http://www.hyaz.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20vinyl.html

Also can be found on ebay.

I have this vinyl/paper and the finish comes out flat, not shiny.

Couldn't see results since Im not a member. But that is the same stuff as what I mentioned above only in a roll.

Sihl, Mactac, Indel Davis & Encad (kodak) all make aqueous compatible vinyls & even some banner materials. I printed some decals and laminated it with clear gloss UV overlam & Ive had 2 of them on my truck for almost a year now with no visible damage to either of them.

Ben

I have been using the HP 36" vinyl for the HP Designjet 500. It has been on a liscense plate on the front of a vehicle that sits outside 24/7 still looks like it did when i made it. I covered it with 3m 8513 clear laminate. I did not seal the edges with a sealit pen. Another one is on the top of a teenagers laptop. It still looks like it did when i made it 1 year ago. :rolleyes: