Sign in to follow this  
motorsports12

removeable vinyl

i have a customer that wants what he calls "meatballs" which are numbers for the side of his car that he can remove but still drive the car with them on the car - the car is fiberglass so magnetic will not work - any suggestions

thank you

what type of material is the fathead material - he is telling me that it is a type of static cling material - not sure how fast he would get up to - he does a road course type race on a huge parking lot

If it is glossy paint and not a lot of contour the cling should hold up if applied correctly. Make sure to clean the surface first with a slightly damp cloth. The little bit of moisture will help the decal stick better and prevent scratches too. 

the 631 has a adhesive to it. some of the static cling vinyl has little to no adhesive. If he does not race every few days or so and only needs basic numbers I would go with 631 that will stick well and he can peel and toss when he is done.

Do you want it to be re-usable? If you do, try static cling vinyl. If it can be one time use then Oracal 631 is the way to go.

i think heis looking for it to be reuseable - i have beel looking at the static cling materials and i have found an avery A0855-S - has anyone used this - does it work for what i am talking about

thanks for all of you input everyone

I think I have some. I can do a test. I'm going out tonight and can slap a piece on the side of my car. See is if stays on.

Update: So I drove into town tonight, about 12 miles one way. Speeds up to 65 mph with wind and light rain and the cling vinyl still stuck on the car. I had to spray water on to get it to stick in the first place but once it was squeegied down it didn't come off until I took it off.

Jay

cool - thanks for doing that test - i think thats the route i will go

sounds like you have a future in rally racing ... lol

thanks jay