Grashopr

Hood Mural using a 25" Pcut

I had to do the 40x40 in sections, but it was relatively easy.  I just paid for the Pcut on what I would have spent getting this mask done by my local supplier. 

A young man lost his infant daughter, wants a mural of a pic of the infant on his hood.  The pic I was given to work with:

DSCN0569sm.jpg

The mask done with my Pcut:

DSCN0572.JPG

DSCN0573.JPG

DSCN0574.JPG

DSCN0575.JPG

DSCN0576.JPG

DSCN0577.JPG

DSCN0578.JPG

Ready for the airbrush:

DSCN0579.JPG

That is going to be nice.  Please post a picture after the airbrushing.

Here's a couple hours work on it from today.  It's not going to be in full color, so a lot of time is going into the white toning.  Much more than normal.  But this'll get you an idea.

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0585.JPG

DSCN0589.JPG

Guest fivestar

Absolutely fabulous.  I am anxious to see the finished product.  :well done:

Thats looking real good, can't wait to see it finished. I do airbrushing also thats the main reason I bought my refine

Great Job, I've been wanting to get my airbrush out, haven't used in many yrs, what you use for masking?

White pre-mask.  I dont know what brand it is or what the product number is... I've had the roll for a while.  It's very high tack (and seems to be causing some problems;  there are white 'dots' showing up all over the place from my overspray that seems to be being caused by the glue residue from the vinyl).  I'll try to get some more pics up tomorrow. 

I can relate to overspray issues, back when I use to do airbrush, overspry was always an issue, have great graphic but w/ over spray

Sorry for the late updates, ran out of batteries in the camera and then we got hit by a huge ice storm..    we're about 70% done now.  Just detail work left.  Gotta rough in shoulders, more clouds and some fingernails (keep forgetting the darned fingernails)..  then it's delivery.

DSCN0595.JPG

DSCN0596.JPG

DSCN0597.JPG

great work And thanx for posting that. i have the 24" machine and wasnt quite sure how i would apply it for a large graffic, Please post further and finished photos. Oh did you scan and inport the photo; how did you work it with the signblazer?

Some of the very best work i have seen.

Congratulations on your work.

You would have had one happy customer.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

yes, others would love to have the steps you used spelled out.

Guest fivestar

That is just absolutely beautiful work.  You should be very proud of that work.

Sorry to respond so late (almost a year later).  I have no pics of the finished and cleared peice, as I was only doing the airbrush work, another shop was doing the clearcoating, and I haven't seen the hood since. 

To make the rasterized File, I scanned the original image into Adobe Photoshop, increased the image size by bumping it up to 300dpi, and created a new layer on which I created a selection using the Polygonal Lasso Tool of the outside of the image.  The higher dpi on the underlying layer makes it easy to create a smooth enough selection.  I then deleted out sections of the eyes, lips and nostrils, mostly as reference points.  With the selection set, I filled the selection with white, then filled the inverted selection with black to make a high-contrast image.  I then changed the size of the image back to 72dpi (the Pcut seems to not like it when I send it a rasterized 300dpi file).

I then increased the overall size of the photo to the actual size I wanted it to be in the end, then used the Canvas Size tool to resize the canvas to the thinner width that the cutter could handle (or in this case, to match my 15" wide vinyl).  Once I had the center section cut out, I saved that as a .jpg, then subtracted what was left for the left and right sides and used the Canvas Size tool to make 2 more .jpg's, one for the left and one for the right. 

Then I imported the files into signblazer and cut them. 

Anyways, sorry for the late response.  I've done so much with my Pcut in the last year, it's crazy.  I've only gone through one blade, and had no other problems at all with it.  it's loud, but it gets the job done every time.  Thank you Pcut!