Sign in to follow this  
FutureSgtsWife

Using your vinyl plotter to decorate cakes??

Not just using it for a stencil... but I came across a blog today (while I was supposed to be drafting an agreement, i might add) for a cake company that uses a Cricut for cutting fondant, gumpaste, modeling chocolate. 

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!  That's all I needed to see -- and now I want to run home, adjust my blade, and cut food.  I baked 145 cupcakes a few weeks ago because I wanted to try new frostings... imagine what the hell I can do with this?:)

Here's the link.... http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php#03012010]http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php#03012010"]http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php#03012010

LOL    :) I think I will stick to cookie cutters,from the dollar store.  before I run food through my $2800  money making machine.   LOL  

There is NO WAY you could pay me enough to put any type of food through my cutter.

That is one brave soul who decided to put food through a cutter.

But, someone, somewhere will invent a cutter that is exclusively for food.

Quick!!! Someone patent that idea!!!!!

LMAO

Guest kenya

There's no end to what these machine can do..... just not in mine either.  :)

far out - a carrier sheet is all they used - . . . No I'm not doing it to my machine wither but still cool

They get more for those cakes than we make with a 50 yd roll of vinyl. :)

They get more for those cakes than we make with a 50 yd roll of vinyl. :)

You're not kidding!!  My sister's wedding cake was $2,000 (granted, it fed 300, but still...)

I was thinking of buying a spare "cheap" one to try it out on... and Cricut is going to sell one just for cakes, but I don't want to buy cartridges, so we'll see.

I've have my LP24 for a few years -- I may test it out using SugarVeil icing instead of fondant --- and if it doesn't work or jams it up, I'll get myself another plotter... maybe even upgrade.  I have a very large cupcake business, and I'm thinking I can expand my products.  I don't do vehicle or signs -- just wallwords, heat applied stuff, etc -- and I'm quite certain I can make more than I do on tshirts...

I was thinking of buying a spare "cheap" one to try it out on... and Cricut is going to sell one just for cakes, but I don't want to buy cartridges, so we'll see.

Several people have used their cricut expression.  They move the rollers to the side.  I use the program from Craft Edge and haven't bought a cartridge in over a year.

Several people have used their cricut expression.  They move the rollers to the side.  I use the program from Craft Edge and haven't bought a cartridge in over a year.

Thanks Linda!  It's worth a shot -- I have a HUGE clientele of new brides/new moms.... and to be able to send them edible cake decor so they can affix to their own cakes would be a big seller.