Sign in to follow this  
BossThinksImWorking

I've really done it now!

I think I'm about to hyperventilate. Seriously. It's time for me to add up all my purchases over the past 2 weeks. I've bought a Sunie heat press, an Epson 1100 printer, over $300 in t-shirts & stuff, approx. $340 in heat press vinyl and transfer paper, throw in a $30 catalog, and another assorted $800 in inventory, PLUS I've still got to buy transfers! I'm dangerously close to the $2000 mark (probably am 'cause I'm afraid I'm forgetting something).

And to think, it all started with me reading all these heat press posts - and snowballed from there! I will have to really bust my butt for the next month to try to recoup my expenses. Nothing like a little motivation, I guess.

BTW: my heat press came in yesterday and I'm already in love with it.

Carol

Wow Carol  - that is jumping in with both feet - do you already have clients lined up for all the shirts?  I try to order what I need at the time because jiffy has them here in 1 day and the only ones I stock are the gray and a few black

Guest fivestar

Two words... tax deductible!

2 more words..... MONEY MAKER

Oh Carol, it's just the start....

A few years ago, someone asked me if I could make them a bunch of mousepads.  I figured I could use inkjet transfers, but did some googling... and came across sublimation.  And within 2 weeks, I was printing/pressing photos on ceramic tiles, magnets, plastic, etc. 

Then I saw a catalog from Uppercase Living.  I ordered a few items for my house and was disgusted with how much they cost.  When they arrived, I noticed they were cut from Avery 631 vinyl - and did some more googling.  And the snowball just kept rolling....

Now today I find out I can cut fondant with my plotter.... Jeez, we're going to need another house for my stuff!

A $10 mousepad has turned into $6,000+ in equipment, thousands upon thousands of substrates/ink/vinyl/fabrics, many sleepless nights... and an obsession beyond comprehension!!

Can't wait to see your works of art!!

Welcome to the club! 

Bought my cutter to do some simple things at the tracks on race days and only had the chance to go ONCE all last summer!  I now have spent countless amounts on stuff I am learning to use everyday!  Printers, cutters, presses, vinyl...I can't believe how much I have spent on transfer paper alone!  Don't think I will ever just settle with something.  Always trying something new!  Thats the fun part. :)

I like your reply, fivestar! MONEYMAKER!

And FutureSgtsWife; I understand. Believe me, I do. I've already bought 2 cutters; for home and store, and I'm terrified to realize I'm going to have to buy another heat press and printer, too. Darn. I better make LOTS of money on all this stuff because duplicating everything sure does run into lots of it.

I started a couple years ago ordering signs for my store, then stumbling across wall words - and wanting too many of those expensive things - caused me to buy that 1st cutter. And here I go with more equipment...am I crazy or what?  And if this is just an addiction, will my insurance pay to "treat" it? LoL!

Fader_Graphix, I was shocked to see how much transfer paper cost! $54 for 100 at Coastal. Any cheaper alternatives? Think my biggest shocker was the difference in the cost of vinyl,though. I will be much less wasteful with heat press vinyl than I am with sign vinyl. Sigh....why do my passions have to be so freaking expensive?

I definitely understand!  I also started by coming across vinyl for walls for my new house...started looking into it, two months later here comes the Roland GX-24 and vinyl!  Now, just received my heat press 4 weeks ago and slowly getting work.  I'm loving it!  Out of space...looking to upgrade rooms!

Guest kenya

One thing that I will never gripe about, is buying tools. Sometimes the purchase is a struggle- but well worth it.  All my equipment have more than paid for themselves. Now, if they would work extra hard to share their room with a Roland printer.  :thumbsup::)

$2k......i just bought a brand new 30" versacamm print/cutter in cash for around $12k after talking the salesman down.....it pays to play that's for sure.

$12k? If I'd just spent that much I wouldn't be hyperventilating. Nope, after I'd gotten over the shock of what I'd done, I'd work like a madwoman afraid to even take a day off, trying to get my money back. I'd really love to have one of those, but since I can't come up with that kind of cash right now, I don't have to worry about that one. Have fun with it.

Expensive toys we like to play with around here....

Hi Carol, believe me... this is only the beginning. I got into the vinyl business mainly for in-house advertising. Fast forward almost 2 years... we now since added a heat press and screen printer to the business, and we're now negotiating to lease a space for a printer... Good luck and welcome to the business!

Guest manwayvan

Wow now I dont feel so bad..Ya def have to pay to play

No offense to anyone but i see people buying machines for a few hundred and then giving there work away and we all know that anyone can order a machine and call themselves a sign company. When you see someone with thousands and thousands into machines, that my friend makes people respect you more because they know your serious about your job and when someone bickers over a price, you can stick to your guns more because you have invested into machines that need paid for.

Luckily i had the cash to buy my print/cutter so i'm not strapped to make all the money back so soon. I'm taking it a day at a time and it works great for stripes which i do alot of since the tracking is very precise on it as well.