cegglestn

homemade solution comparable to rapid tac2

In wouldn't think so if you rinsed it out real good. However, next time at the dollar store they have empty quart spray bottles for $1.

Well I got some 99% alcohol and mixed it about 25% alcohol 75% water and NO soap (read somewhere on here it may contain Silicone that lubricates the decal), did a test with just a square of vinyl and its definately better, trying another intricate decal right now, giving it about 15 minutes before I try and remove the app tape. John did you say NOT to rewet the tape?

Ben

I don't..especially on vertical surfaces. But that's just me. One thing..you ARE pulling the tape back against itself and not straight up,right?

Yep, pulling it back over itself on as flat an angle as possible.  The intricate one didnt hold, even tho I squeegied it really thoroughly I cant seem to get all of the water out from under it.  Its BETTER but still no where like the videos I've seen of people doing the wet app method. 

Ben

Well update, I never got the homebrew to work on glass, the rapid tac didnt work either but the rapidtac2 did. The rapid tac worked great for the stripes on body panels on the truck, but not on the window decals. I will say tho that wet application is SOOOOOOO much easier and quicker I have no clue why anyone would do dry app unless it was on foamcore or glass.  My tint guy uses a homebrew mix for the tint and he swears by it, but for 15 bucks for a liter of RT2 which will last me at least a month im not gonna mess with what works.

wonder if the window you was applying to had rainx on it?

vinyl will not stick to rainx treated windows

Nope, the original window was my patio door and the other one was the back window of my Dodge Ram, and ive never used rain-X.  ;D

The only 2 reasons I've had similar problems is if it's 1) too damn cold out, or 2) I didn't shake the application fluid well.  I forgot to shake it well one time, and had the exact same results.  Never had that problem again as long as I remember to shake the bottle before using it. 

Great tips, thanks to all for sharing this info and your recipes :D

I'm working on some glass, tried to do it dry put these windows are 8 ft tall. I'm going to try the wet method next time. I use the clear application tape so is that an issue or what with the previous mentioned solutions?

For wet applications you are better off using the paper tape so the liquid can evaporate from under the decal easier and allow you easier removal.

So lets have those recipes again. Which ones work the best? I'd like to just make enough to fill a 20 oz spray bottle. So what would the mixture be? Thanks for your responses in advance.

So lets have those recipes again. Which ones work the best? I'd like to just make enough to fill a 20 oz spray bottle. So what would the mixture be? Thanks for your responses in advance.

check out first page of this thread

For whatever reason I cannot find a plain dish detergent without some kind of "extra."  Even the generic brands all have a bleach alternative.  Does anyone know if that would affect the adhesive in any way?

Also, if dish detergent isn't an option, what else could be used?  I read someone using baby shampoo - anything else?

Thanks

I know I worked in a tint shop for a while years ago and the tinter used water and baby shampoo... nothing else.. dont knoe how it works w/ vinyl but just thought I would share..

My Vinyl Liqour

3 - 4 drops Good Ol' Johnson's Baby Shampoo

1/3 - 1/2 cup Isopropal alcohol (the higher % SEEMS better)

3 1/2 - 3 2/3 cups Water

If you use a vanilla exact make sure its not imitation. Imitation contains oils. I recommend not using any smelling agent. If you need smell... dab a little on the collar of your shirt and go to work!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I would think the regular would have oils in it.... I know my imitation flavoring says its a glycol mix right on it, which glycol is a low level alcohol. and when washed it does not leave any stain or residue.

I use Rapid Tac II for surface prep prior to appling decals or bonding using expoxies.  I have wondered if there was a cheaper alternative available on the shelf at my local stores.  

The key ingredient in RT2 is Glycol Ether.      Look at the MSDS.

The reason why it works good is the Glycol Ether softens the pressure sensitive adhesives (tiny beads if you look through a microscope) on the vinyl making it grab better to surfaces.  

I personally never apply with a wet surface but I do apply immediately after it evaporates from the surface.  All my application is on flat surface in very favorable conditions (75F 45%RH) so I don't need to apply wet.   Based on this, I'm not sure I would use soap in my home brew.   Probably just Glycol Ether and water (maybe dionized water).   

Based on the MSDS, I think it is p-series (Propylene) Glycol Ether at about 30% by weight.  But I'm not a chemist so don't take my word for it.   (p-series is produced by reacting propylene oxide (PO) with alcohols).  Here is a gallon for $50 free shipping.    A gallon of RT2 goes for $31.  So you may be able to save a few bucks making your own.  I bet you can use 5:1 water:glycol.  But again, I'm not a chemist, just doing rough math.  The MSDS for RT and RT2 appear to be the same so the formulation between the two are minor.   If you want to compete with RT, you can get 55 gal drum for $16/gal.  Probably cost about $4 to produce a gallon of RT.  

The one down side to RT2 is smelling the Glycol Ether day to day. I use a respirator when I need to use it a lot.  I would like to find a healthier alternative. 

An interesting window clearner brew.  Not sure what vinegar does.  Maybe helps with streaks.  

1 tablespoon - vinegar

1 cup - water

1 cup - rubbing alcohol

There is also this one:

1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent

2 cups of water

Mark

www.mystat.com

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to add a little info to maybe help some people get the hang of wet app. I have found a lot of the "time" involved is dependent on the design, a more intricate design will trap the fluid in the centers like in an "O" so keep that in mind. Give it some time. On flat surfaces (hoods) i will wipe around the application tape several times with dry paper towels as I squeegee to help dry things up a little quicker. It also depends on the humidity in the air. I have done some wet app in some pretty cold weather in the rain (my own truck) and to my surprise I was amazed how well it worked. I use mostly Oracle 651. I am soon to try some 751 :) And as some of you know, I'm by no means an expert, just a newb trying :) 

And thank you to those who shared their "recipes".

I agree with Hoppy:  baby shampoo works better than dish soap as the slip agent with easy repositioning and quick dry.  I only do large, vertical windows, on my own.  Dry install is rarely an option.  I am guessing the PH is much more neutral than dish soap, making it less reactive with other substances, and a little goes a LONG way

John, Hoppy posted here in 2010, over a dozen years ago.

You've resurrected a necrothread on your first posting, congratulations.

RapidTac2 is perfectly formulated, I wouldn't presume to mix my own stuff. When I apply it, I use a small bottle that MISTS rather than sprays. (nano-misting type).