jhelms

can I print on vinyl with epson wf1100

can I print onvinyl with my epson wf 1100 , I think I read where you could does oracal make a vinyl I could cut down and I read to use frog juice your opinions please jhelms

You can use any vinyl that's made for waterbased ink. I believe all Oracal are solvent ink only. MACtac, Avery, and HP all make vinyl with coating for pigment or dye ink. Many members on this forum use the MACtac and just cut down to size. Frog juice or any other laminate would add UV and water resistance to the ink.

• Like 1

can I print onvinyl with my epson wf 1100 , I think I read where you could does oracal make a vinyl I could cut down and I read to use frog juice your opinions please jhelms

YES!!!! I have printed several items with this printer. I used a WF 610 first and was impressed with its vinyl printing. So then bought the WF 1100. I have done laptop covers, self sticking flowers and tonight we made a custom license plate for a teenager's car. I use HP Self Adhesive Vinyl for the HP 500 that i also have. Papilio also sells vinyl for this printer in several types and styles. See attached photo.

post-4099-12986551258498_thumb.jpg

post-4099-12986551271571_thumb.jpg

I know my fellers catalog shows some of the oracal stuff is inkjet printable, when I got my wf 1100 I was going to call and ask them specifically....some has the layer to accept aqueous inks and others do not...you have to check.

Oracal will not work with the WF printers. You can print on Oracal with aqueous ink, but you'll need a UV curer to dry the ink immediately, otherwise it'll smudge and won't dry.

What about the SIHL 3988 ADHESIVE VINYL, my local supplier carries it and im wondering if it works with the 1100 also, I saw that MACtac carries JA1340 - IMAGIN JT1958P MATTE WHITE VINYL 36"X72'

Do these both require UV curing or will the water based ink dry on its own?

Guest sciondrgn

I use the Papillio paper with Frog juice and it works great with my 1100

The thing with papillio is that they have limited sizes of their vinyl material, 11x8.38. The two materials I listed come in 36" widths and 72/65 feet long, so they could be cut into 12x36 inch strips and fed through the 1100 with the custom size selection, being able to do longer images.

Guest sciondrgn

The thing with papillio is that they have limited sizes of their vinyl material, 11x8.38. The two materials I listed come in 36" widths and 72/65 feet long, so they could be cut into 12x36 inch strips and fed through the 1100 with the custom size selection, being able to do longer images.

Of course.. I was only sharing my experience.. It works great with the papillio vinyl and frog juice.  I use the 11x17 in both papillio and JPSS for shirts and all has worked well so far

What exactly is frog juice, never heard or seen it before. I would think it would be some type of sealer

Guest sciondrgn

What exactly is frog juice, never heard or seen it before. I would think it would be some type of sealer

http://www.signwarehouse.com/FL-CC-p-FL-FROG-12Z.html

That it is, UV and Water Protection.

I did this one last weekend, Printed and cut then used 2 coats of frog juice, Everything taped up and wet applied with Soap/Water/Alcohol Mix and no fading or smudging at all.

0009zgc8 

Hmm...I was unaware the 1100 would do something that large.....do you have instructions on how to get it to print something that big?  I was under the impression it would only do sheet goods 13x19 or smaller.  That would be awesome if it can, might order one that much sooner.

What about the SIHL 3988 ADHESIVE VINYL, my local supplier carries it and im wondering if it works with the 1100 also, I saw that MACtac carries JA1340 - IMAGIN JT1958P MATTE WHITE VINYL 36"X72'

Do these both require UV curing or will the water based ink dry on its own?

Don't know anything aboug SIHL, but for MACtac, JA1340 is the only one I know that you can print with a regular desktop printer. HP and Avery also makes a wb printable vinyl too.

I ordered my roll of house brand from a local supplier, $65-70 for a roll of 24"x60':

http://www.productsignsupplies.com/index.jsp?ID=,Digital.Media..Laminate...Ink,PSS.Digital.Print.Media,Aqueous.Ink.Media.(Water.Based),Vinyl.(Adhesive.Backed),4mil.Matte.Vinyl.Adhesive.Backed,4mil.Matte.Vinyl.Permanent.Adhesive&path=find&ds=dept&a=1

Hmm...I was unaware the 1100 would do something that large.....do you have instructions on how to get it to print something that big?  I was under the impression it would only do sheet goods 13x19 or smaller.  That would be awesome if it can, might order one that much sooner.

From my reading of my WF1100 manual, it will take a custom sheet size of up to 13x44.

Guest sciondrgn

It will go up to 13x44 total size, You have to set a custom size in whatever program your using. in robo you can set a user preset size and save it as an option.

Awesome....looked and sure enough you are right.....hmmm now I really need to find a supplier for an inkjet printable roll....I had planned on just using papillo.

Signwarehouse has a nice selection of aqueous printable vinyl media but I'm wondering if anyone has used any of them with the 1100 without needing a uv curing system. I am seriously considering switching over my sticker business from laser/litho adhesive paper to inket/vinyl if its possible without having to order a 12,000 dollar vinyl printer.

Just spoke to:

Amy Westermann

MACtac Inside Sales

866-622-8223

www.mactac.com

and she said that the pigment ink in the 1100 should work fine on their JT1958P material, it comes in 36" and 50" rolls at 72' a roll. Fellers and Laird Plastics are the distributors for them.

Here is a PDF on that item:

http://mactac.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Graphic/Performance_Guides/JT1958P.pdf

ooooo which ink system would you recommend, the pigment or dye?

ill go return this one after i use some of the ink in it to do some of my own stuff *snickers*

Guest sciondrgn

ooooo which ink system would you recommend, the pigment or dye?

ill go return this one after i use some of the ink in it to do some of my own stuff *snickers*

Pigment ink  ;D