joeycuccaro

Recommendations for Transfer Paper / Application Tape

Hey all,

I'm just getting started in the vinyl industry and wanted to get a few recommendations from some experienced members. My main activity is vinyl decals that are applied to car windows. Most of the decals are small 6" long text decals. With the cutter i purchased the US cutter starter kit, but i am having a bit of trouble with the transfer paper.

newsupply_kit.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

It seems the transfer paper in this kit isnt adhesive enough to stick to the vinyl. I find myself sitting there for minutes pressing down hard on the transfer paper just to get the decals to pull up with the transfer paper. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is it indeed the paper in using or am i doing something else wrong? As a reference I am using the Orcal 751 high performance cast vinyl for these window decals. Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joey

When you apply the transfer tape, are you running across it with a squeegee?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but a very important part of the app tape process.

I use R-tape without fail, I don't know what they sent to you in their kit.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but a very important part of the app tape process.

I agree. R -tape has never let me down !

Not a stupid question at all! Actually i never knew that you had to do that. I was under the impression that you just laid the vinyl onto the transfer tape and that was that. Simply just apply pressure with the squeegee or is there a liquid application that you must put on the transfer paper first and run a squeegee over it before the vinyl is laid down?

Thanks for the helpful tips guys! Can you get R-tape on this site?

use ONLY rtape conform 4076RLA, Don't use anything else.

Been using it for 5 years now, i love it.

Not a stupid question at all! Actually i never knew that you had to do that. I was under the impression that you just laid the vinyl onto the transfer tape and that was that. Simply just apply pressure with the squeegee or is there a liquid application that you must put on the transfer paper first and run a squeegee over it before the vinyl is laid down?

Smooth it down just like you would if you were applying it somewhere.  That seals the tape to the vinyl.  Then, when you are installing, turnt the decal over and remove the backing paper from the vinyl, instead of removing the vinyl from the backing paper.  I know this sounds silly, but it is pretty important. 

You tape should stick to the vinyl after using this method.  You don't need app fluid or anything like that.  That is for taking the app tape off after you apply the decal.  Use something like that and your tape won't stick at all....LOL

If you aren't sure of a procedure or method, just post here.  We'll all help.

Smooth it down just like you would if you were applying it somewhere.  That seals the tape to the vinyl.  Then, when you are installing, turnt the decal over and remove the backing paper from the vinyl, instead of removing the vinyl from the backing paper.  I know this sounds silly, but it is pretty important. 

You tape should stick to the vinyl after using this method.  You don't need app fluid or anything like that.  That is for taking the app tape off after you apply the decal.  Use something like that and your tape won't stick at all....LOL

If you aren't sure of a procedure or method, just post here.  We'll all help.

I really appreciate the help! It's nice to know there is a forum with a community of great members like yourself willing to help newcomers. I will try the recommendations and report back. Thanks again for all of the help!