Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

DOT number size help needed

i need to know the size so i can be seen 50 feet sitting still. thanks for thr help.

I'm not sure if it's the same for all states but here in Wisconsin the minimum height for DOT #'s is 2". And the color must contrast with the vehicle color for easy readability.

I'm not sure if it's the same for all states but here in Wisconsin the minimum height for DOT #'s is 2". And the color must contrast with the vehicle color for easy readability.

My father actually got nabbed for that about 6 months ago here in WI for not having a DOT number. The officer said he didnt care how big it was but it had to be there... ive seen them as small as 1" around here, but like Helpinghand said, in WI its 2" so thats what i put on my fathers truck.

Comically enough the reqm't for letter size as called out in Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Part 390.21 and subsections tecnically Does Not   state a numeric size. They do however make sure that you know that 50 feet is 15.24 meters (typical govt non specific specifications B))

I recently lettered a car hauler for a company that all of his other trucks had 1 3/4" dot and mc numbers. He gets stopped all the time by dot and has never had a problem with letter size. It seems that if you are close to 2" with good contrast they don't bother you.

That being said I use 2" minimum for all our construction trucks

Federal Motor Carrier Saftey Administration Part 390.21

© Size, shape, location, and color of marking. The marking must