Sign in to follow this  
kyjeeper

Some License Plate Examples

Here' some license plates I've done for samples and instructional aids in my classes.  All using Oracal 651 or ContacPaper (woodgrain). 

Posted a close up of the woodgrain ContacPaper (Shelf liner). 

Haven't seen anyone here mention using it, but it actually cuts and weeds very well.  Have to bring the cutting pressure way down as the backing is really thin, but once it sticks, it sticks well, and is available in marble, ivy, woodgrain, etc. and is found in the kitchen aisle of most stores with drawer liners.

post-7475-12986551002781_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551010536_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551034591_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551051897_thumb.jpg

I have always wondered about contacpaper.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I have several people who want items in patterns and now I know I can use it.

WHOO HOO!!!!!

I would recommend using paper back tape.  Clear R Tape seems to have a little too much hold for it.

Contact paper is made to be removed though, so any outdoor use is out of the question. A bit of water or a solid wind will start to peel the contact paper right off of the surface, tried it on a couple of surfaces and even with extreme pressure, it comes off (J roller).

Its definately not as durable as our typical vinyl, but its surprising.  has a woodgrain bill murray face for a customer (i don't know either... lol) that he put on the hood of his VW, and it lasted until a deer crushed it off.  Pressure washing will definately peel it off clean tho.

On a license plate, you can always cover with clear laminate also.

Just seal really good around the lines. 

I gotta try this.

There used to be a guy on ebay that sold shelf paper as sign vinyl - most of it is hard and think compared to sign vinyl

Looks great though on the plates

Guest kenya

Yes, all the shelf liner that I have ever used in my cabinets has always been brittle.

Nice job on the cuts & applications though.  :thumbsup:

nice Job!  you wouldn't believe what you can do with 651 transparant!! just try it and be creative.