Sign in to follow this  
paulthechainsaw

"wells" or "cavities" problem on USCutter Laserpoint 24"

I have not read this complaint in any forum so I hope it's not just me. My Laserpoint 24", which is a constant bear I have to wrestle with, has "wells" along the front and rear that vinyl gets caught up in. I've had to run duct tape along the front one and recently had major issues with the back one.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LdrKEtIxSQ

I lay awake at night worried about how much vinyl is wasted through weeding and having large borders. Modern Guilt. Weeding is necessary but we should not have to roll out 5" before a cut just so it misses that front well. Maximize consumption, minimize waste.

I'm saving up for a Roland. From all that I've read and experienced these Chinese machines are not worth the time.

Sorry about the shaky vid.

My VE Lynx has the groove on the front, I feed out to the edge of my weed border, and use it as a straight blade guide to cut off the vinyl, then back it up and reset the origin.  I find the groove to be very handy, but looks like you've found a good solution for those that don't!

Very glad to hear something positive about this. Makes total sense to use it as a blade groove for straight cuts, do you think it was meant to be used that way? I wonder why it would be included on the rear too?

Thanks for the response (and encouragement).

My Seiki also has a groove like that ,  I can cut my vinyl there also,   I noticed in your video that the vinyl looked really curved, like it had been rolled up.  If you roll it the opposite way for a bit,  it will lay flatter..   I roll up all my scraps,  and then when I use them,  I just roll them the opposite way , before I use it.  I sometimes just roll them and stick it in the center of a tape roll,   let it sit for 5 minutes and unroll,  It will lay flatter..  my 2c  or maybe that is just how it looked to me in the video.  :thumbsup: 

I have vinyl over mine, it was getting annoying. Glad to know there was a reason behind it, but its still annoying.  :thumbsup:

Covered mine with black vinyl. The vinyl doesn't catch there anymore and I can still run my cutter down the channel to trim my vinyl straight.