Sign in to follow this  
mr300s

Look what UPS dropped off

Yes .....if that's relevent.

I don't care what small parcel carrier one chooses. If you approach any of them with that recycled carton filled with bunting and a sheet of plywood in the bottom to maintain integrity or whatever and ask them to pay a claim on a damage; you'll end up feeling insulted cause they're gonna laugh at you. The shipper may very well have used a UPS branded, independently owned shipping outlet......and if they did indeed assist him with the packing material; I'm curious to know what they said when he approached them after the damage occurred? Someone on the shipper's end needs to take responsibility here, it is after all the shipper that contracted with the carrier, which makes it the shipper's responsibility to initiate claim, you as a consignee are incidental to the carrier's business transaction.

Look at that little printed circle on the carton declaring the "Box Certificate" weight ratings. I imagine for a carton of that size it's rated close to 200# crush when properly packed and when properly packed you'll find the carrier will have little choice but to pay a claim to the shipper when damage occurs...which is rare in that circumstance. Just in case you missed it above, bunting and plywood do not constitute properly packed.

You've got to wonder what people are thinking when they have a poorly packed parcel, that appears to have a great deal of time spent on it writing for example: "This End Up" "Top Load Only" "Do Not Lay Flat" . Apparently they are oblivious to the fact that parcel will in all probability be residing with at least another 1000+ in a trailer loaded in under an hour; after being loaded from a conveyor in the random order they appeared.

I agree, that wasn't properly packed. Especially for something that heavy. And an old box that's been used several times before it looks like. The UPS store here when we had one, wouldn't even have packed, or helped pack an old box like that. It was new, or nothing with them, but they would have shipped it, and then laughed at a damage claim too.

I will be watching to see a shirt printed.. I think I might get one of these... I need to learn a little bit about pigment inks. How well do they hold up on shirts and mugs?

So far the ones i've done have held up great.. I posted a video in the t-shirt threads.. Using my WorkForce 1100 and JPSS!   :thumbsup:

Guess I didn't realize pigmented ink would transfer well to a mug, I've been under the impression sublimation ink was required for that to work well.

I was speaking of shirts not mugs.. I would assume you need the high temp ink for mug transfers

Does anyone know if the "high temp" ink he sells is sublimation ink??  Those prices might make it worth getting into...

Edage - what about the amount of force it would take to bend and break the bolts holding the press to the board in the bottom - that doesn't look like proper handling in any way shape or form.  that would indicate the item was dropped from table height at an angle - how do you defend that type of handling of a package by anyone? Why don't other carriers exhibit the amount of damage that UPS does (from personal experience!)

I actually had someone who works at the UPS terminal tell me NEVER to mark anything 'fragile'. They just laugh at it.

Does anyone know if the "high temp" ink he sells is sublimation ink??   Those prices might make it worth getting into...

from Richard

Yes the high temp ink is the same as the Sublimation ink I just renamed it, due to "rights's issues"

Thanks Richard

I actually had someone who works at the UPS terminal tell me NEVER to mark anything 'fragile'. They just laugh at it.

Really? He may have thought that was an interesting ancedote to tell you at the time...I can assure you if he cracked jokes like that on the job, he would be soon seeking a new line of employment.

Ed age - what about the amount of force it would take to bend and break the bolts holding the press to the board in the bottom - that doesn't look like proper handling in any way shape or form.  that would indicate the item was dropped from table height at an angle - how do you defend that type of handling of a package by anyone? Why don't other carriers exhibit the amount of damage that UPS does (from personal experience!)

What is your data source for tracking the amount of damage small parcel carriers experience, as it contradicts the industry claims?  I know the parcel is marked with an over 70# sticker. I also know a sheet of plywood will offer no bottom cushion whatsoever. What I'm trying to impart here is if that parcel had the correct packing and cushioning, we would probably be discussing something other than a damaged press. Are all packages processed in the manner that they should be; NO. When you're dealing with huge volumes, the odds are damage is bound to occur. When you bolt a heavy press to a sheet of plywood in a recycled carton bound for any destination of distance; I can pretty well assure damage will occur.

The real question I hope anyone reading this will ask is.... Do they want to argue against my position or do they desire to take steps to reduce damage to their parcels in the future?

Really? He may have thought that was an interesting ancedote to tell you at the time...I can assure you if he cracked jokes like that on the job, he would be soon seeking a new line of employment.

I have lost count of the packages I have had dropped (and I mean dropped...I could hear the 'thud' at the other end of the house and downstairs) that were beat to pieces, torn, had sides or bottoms falling out...etc. I have had to make 2 claims,both of which were paid. I actually picked up one box and contants,along with the packing,came out of the bottom...which was SOAKING WET.

I have seen with my own eyes packages being tossed as much as 15 feet at the terminal.And I mean tossed..thrown.

The last cutter I bought came in the box,had a hole in it I could put my fist through...

Maybe where you come from they treat them with more care, but not everyone does.

BTW...this happens with UPS and FedEx..UPS pays the claim faster.

I want one!

Does the WorkForce 1100 normally come with pigment inks or dye inks? 

The 1400 is on sale at S*ples this coming week for $150...

with a traade-in printer.

Is the 1400 the same machine just updated???

TIA

Sue2

Workforce 1100 uses 4 colors pigment ink, the Stylus Photo 1400 uses 6 colors Claria ink, which is a more water resistent dye ink.

Workforce 1100 uses 4 colors pigment ink, the Stylus Photo 1400 uses 6 colors Claria ink, which is a more water resistent dye ink.

Does the WorkForce 1100 normally come with pigment inks or dye inks
pigment ink

From the research I have done it appears that the 1100 is the best for tee shirts....

and like was said inks cheaper and there is less cartridges

:thumbsup:    I got one!  Off-Max has printer specials right now...$50 OFF PLUS $70 Rewards points.  I also turned in 3 empty cartridges for another $9 in Rewards and a card I got in the mail for $10 off instore purchase.

Sooooo, the $200 Workforce 1100 printer ended up $140 and I will get $79 in Rewards coming next month.

You can order online and pay shipping or walk into the nearest store with the computer print-out and they will honor it....but check your online rewards points to be sure they are credited.

I love the idea that it will print from 3.5" x 5" to 13" x 44". 

Envelopes to mini posters...and I may just dabble in the t-shirt world.

Now, let's go look at them heat presses!

LOL it never ends, I love my toys!!!

Sue

:thumbsup:     I got one!  Off-Max has printer specials right now...$50 OFF PLUS $70 Rewards points.  I also turned in 3 empty cartridges for another $9 in Rewards and a card I got in the mail for $10 off instore purchase.

Sooooo, the $200 Workforce 1100 printer ended up $140 and I will get $79 in Rewards coming next month.

You can order online and pay shipping or walk into the nearest store with the computer print-out and they will honor it....but check your online rewards points to be sure they are credited.

I love the idea that it will print from 3.5" x 5" to 13" x 44". 

Envelopes to mini posters...and I may just dabble in the t-shirt world.

Now, let's go look at them heat presses!

LOL it never ends, I love my toys!!!

Sue

Check out the Sunie with wfree shipping

I ordered a set of cartridges and all the associated parts to turn my 1400 into CIS from Richard at Cobra last week.

I couldn't recommend the system and Richard, especially, more.  He put together the list of parts I would need, promptly shipped it, and when I asked about the tank filters, he said I probably wouldn't need them, but he'd ship them anyway.  :thumbsup:  In addition, he sent along a cartridge resetter, which he said I also probably wouldn't need, but what the hell!  :thumbsup:;D  Plus, he answered all my questions in a timely and courteous fashion.

I'm now contemplating whether it's worth it to try to rig up the CIS or just use the too-easy-to-refill cartridges with the provided syringes.  I'd like to do the CIS, but the cartridges have a rubber plug already built in, and Richard says there shouldn't be any problem just keeping them full (same as if CIS was active).

So far I have only replaced the black.  I ordered the dye cartridges, just because my 1400 came with Claria inks, and I wasn't sure on compatibility with pigment inks.  Plus, I mostly use my 1400 for screenprinting positives, and the stock Claria dye inks have worked great, halftones, etc.

Dropped the black cartridge in, the Epson did it's thing and full cartridge is ready to rock.  I printed several positives, all of which were as dark as the Claria inks and burned fine.

I'm thoroughly pleased, and even if you don't decide to go the CIS route, I HIGHLY recommend picking up a set of replacement cartridges from Richard @ http://www.cobraink.com/.    For $32.95/set (dye), you can't go wrong.  That's approximately 1/3 of what Epson carts would cost.

I'll update this thread when I get to the point of either installing the CIS or refilling the carts to let you guys know how it goes.

tl;dr:  Cobra Ink Systems =  ;D

I just got my WF1100 this week from Cobra Ink.  Richard is great person to do business with.  He also told me that his ink supplier was trying to make these printers work with solevent inks.  Was suppose to have already been out but not available yet.  looking forward to that happening. 

Jim

I just got my WF1100 this week from Cobra Ink.  Richard is great person to do business with.  He also told me that his ink supplier was trying to make these printers work with solevent inks.  Was suppose to have already been out but not available yet.  looking forward to that happening. 

Jim

If they develop replacement metal printheads capable of eco-sol inks, Richard is going to be a very wealthy man.  I'm not holding my breath though...