Sign in to follow this  
xpfguy

Total Noob here, just ordered graphtec, heat press, ect.

Hi all, I just ordered a Graphtec 5000 ce-60, a heat press, some vinyl and a clipart disc. It's going to be a long 5 days waiting for shipping.

I'm another pc user just fed up with problems. I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini that I will plan to run the cutter and would like some feedback about software.

I spent all my money so I plan to start out using the free vector software that Les from USCutter recommended until I can afford to purchase Illustrator.

Anyone using inkscape? Any problems with Snow Leapord?

The next questions probably don't belong in this section but I trust some mac users to donate some feedback.

1. Where do I get the vector art (clip art, not sure what to call it, don't know the lingo) to make the "stick people" family thing for the back glass?

2. What are the possible issues for using copyright logos, college football for example?

3. Do I need special vinyl to print on to make sticker, what about heat transfer vinyl?

4. Thanks for any input in advance?

Jason...

1 great plac to start is right on here under vector art section of the forum -  usc also sells clipart, along with signwarehouse and many others.

2  Legal action including fines, confiscation of your equipment and loss of personal property - search copyright on the forum for more info

3  what type of printer are you planning on printing with -ther is a popular thread on here about printing with a desktop printer but for durable professional results you will need a eco sol printer - starts at approx 16000

4 you will also need application tape, squeegees, xacto knife - later a nice cutting mat, straight edge, if doing heat press stuff you will need heat press vinyl, heat press, adn a handy tool is the t-squareit.

thanks,

I did also buy some heat transfer vinyl, a clip art collection, and the "app/install starter kit" not sure what all is in there, but I know it has transfer tape, xacto knife, squeegy ect :thumbsup:.

Thanks for your blountness about the copyright :thumbsup:, I don't plan on mass selling anything but I would like to make a decal for my own car of my favorite team... was my real intentions. Still wrong, I know.

Searching the web, I have seen "100,000 logo collection, $29.99" type stuff. If I buy that, do I have the rights to sale the decals??

I purchase this to be use 80% personal and 20% business... meaning I sale something to friends but I'm not running a sign shop. Maybe... in the future :thumbsup:

As for printing, I have a friend with an Pro 24" Epson, I was hoping that would work. On a smaller scale I have an HP color laser printer, will that work on any type of vinyl for stickers or shirts?

Searching the web, I have seen "100,000 logo collection, $29.99" type stuff. If I buy that, do I have the rights to sale the decals??

in one word,  NO!!!      That is copyright infringement.  If you reproduce or sell or just give away  another persons/company work without  that person's permission, it is copyright infringement. The producers of those cds do not own the copyrights to those company logos.  Only the companys do. You can sell REAL copyrighted items, as long as you are not violating the companys terms by selling their copyrighted items.  Such as territory, or distributor violations. etc.    but not reproduce it and sell/give away as if it was the real item.  

xpf -not trying to be blunt - we just had a member this past year get hooked up when someone asked them to do their race car and then got the lawsuit in the mail (it was a trap) for a large amount of money from Dewalt - that was one of the sponsors.  Just don't want to see you get caught up in that sort of thing.  they even went so far as to bring the car to them to do and paid so at the time it seemed to be legit . . .until the letter came

ok ok no copyright stuff, thank you.  :thumbsup:

anyway the main reason for the email is im a noob and my order should show up any day now and i want to play with it right away.

what is all the talk about keyspan and serial... will i just use a usb cable to connect my mac mini or macbook pro to the graftech 5000 ce 60?

what would you tell a noob other than read the manuals as far as out of the box to cutting... should i just search the forum or you tube for instruction?

please comment on what software you guys use and the pro/cons associated with the software choices.

I am a little worried about where i plan to put the equipment. what is worse... humidity.. tempature...?

i have a personal logo for my photography business that is an .eps file. is that what i need to cut or does it have to be converted. what software will cut it?

Jason

Im using pcut and regular usb would not send long lengths or something with lots of nodes so I bought the keyspan to go from serialon my pcut to usb on my computer this corrected my problem but I hear graphtecs not like this due to pcut has smaller memory than more expensive models I see graphtec in my near future also good luck jhelms

I use flexi pro for cutting with my ce5000-60 and love it.  graphtec also has a program that lets you cut from corel draw

I thought the salesman from usc said that Corel was not available for mac?

oops - you mean I should actually read and notice i am replying in a mac thread . . .My bad