Toolman

Sign I finished Today

Nice toolman - it is nice to see a church go with something other than a white sign with black lettering.  seems to be what ALL mine want

Thanks guy's

Yeah I know they started out wanting that, but I had the gold left from another sign. so I made a proof and they went with the black and gold...

Here is a pic of one we did for an EAGLE SCOUT Project

This is the Church that charters our Troop

post-7100-12986550411926_thumb.jpg

post-7100-12986550426446_thumb.jpg

what the heck happened to the dot on the "i"?

Looks good btw.

the I in ministries? that is the way it looks in that font kinda funky but they like it.... or do you mean in services? they wanted it left off

the I in ministries? that is the way it looks in that font kinda funky but they like it.... or do you mean in services? they wanted it left off

services

I would still put it on, just looks strange IMO. It's like not crossing your T's, you must do it!

Just got this one installed today....

what was the material that you had the vinyl on that looks cool - black shiny - that looks sharp 

You'll never guess what the substrate is. I use metal roofing before it is run thru the dies that put the grooves in it. I painted this one could't get it in gloss black..Normally I dont have to paint if I use the metal.. I use auto paint base coat clear coat when I do paint cost a little more but makes a great finish.

Really stands up to weather that way....

I may go back and put the dot on the "I"..I know what you mean but  THE Customer is always RIGHT..

Yeah not galvanized paint wont stick to it.. You seen metal roofs on houses..The kind with the channels in it.

Well they make it here locally, so i call tell them how long i need the peices to be they cut it for me off of the  coils before they run it.. They have 16 colors in stock. But the black has no gloss really flat, so is use base coat clear coat paint the base  paint dries in about 30 mins then you apply the clear. I let it cure overnignt. Then apply the lettering.. If i am using MDO same process....If you paint wiht this stuff be sure to us a HVLP gravity feed gun seems to work better You only need about 10 psi air pressure..and have plenty of ventilation. It stinks like >>>>.

A quart of paint usually cost me about 40.00-50.00. then you need reducer for the paint.. The clear coat you need ,clear coat and activator for the clearcoat.. Clear has a pot life of about 30 mins..after it is mixed so don't mix more than you think you will use.If i rember right i pay about 50.00 for a quart of clear and 30.00 for a quart of activator but it is mixed 2 parts clear 1 part activator..

the customer is always right is overrated, the customer may be sometimes but something like this is basic knowledge. Why wouldn't you dot an "i" just seems wrong lol

If the customers always right then there would be some ugly things coming out of my shop, you must give them suggestions so they don't end up with a embarrassing finished product that represents your shop

The sign could have been done a lot better in my opinion. Too many fonts, and none of them fit. Just like everyone else stated about the i, it def doesn't look like it was intentional.

You don't pretend to be a pastor, so why should they act as if they are a designer? Leave that to the "Designer". On that note.

No offense but having a graphic artist design your signs may help you out with the layout.

So many rules broken in this.

Picking up some design books and reading over will certainly give you a better understanding.

The sign could have been done a lot better in my opinion. Too many fonts, and none of them fit. Just like everyone else stated about the i, it def doesn't look like it was intentional.

You don't pretend to be a pastor, so why should they act as if they are a designer? Leave that to the "Designer". On that note.

No offense but having a graphic artist design your signs may help you out with the layout.

So many rules broken in this.

Picking up some design books and reading over will certainly give you a better understanding.

why so negative lately Mader - just because you didn't get the free shirts?  did you get your heat press?

Guest kenya

The sign looks great.

The missing dot definitely looks like a mistake, but people need to realize you spend time laying out a design and your customer makes any needed changes. Then they approve it. So in the end, it's what the customer wants.

Not every sign maker is a 'designer'. We put together ideas to give our customer, but in the end- it is 'their' sign. I've made many that I wouldn't even want. The rules that you speak of are out the window when you have to satisfy the customer.

Thanks Vette

But the dot on the I was intentionally left off. They did not want it so I left it off.

I have made a couple of signs I hated but they were paying the bill so they got what they wanted..

Had one a month back I kept making sugggestions on colors even showed them to him on the monitor. But he would have no other way than his, so I made it he was very happy.I got paid we are both happy...

The number one rule in the sign business is do it the way the customer wishes! I have one customer that has completely covered his car in graphics that he hand drew and used a pen to fill them in. They are nothing but jagged lines around every piece. But that is what HE wanted. You keep doing what you're doing because doing signs the way the customer wants it will get you more business than any book or sign makers opinion ever will.

Thanks Bill I will...

You know what they say about opinoins and A  Holes  every body has one...........

I wasn't too negative in it. I told him there were too many fonts to the sign. And the dot for the eye def needs to be there or a different font that looks purposely left out. I then told him to pick up some books over design to help him out. I even encouraged him to let a designer help him lay it out so that he gets a feel for what to do. How is that so negative?

I wasn't too negative in it. I told him there were too many fonts to the sign. And the dot for the eye def needs to be there or a different font that looks purposely left out. I then told him to pick up some books over design to help him out. I even encouraged him to let a designer help him lay it out so that he gets a feel for what to do. How is that so negative?

Just real life crit if you ask me. One can take it good or bad ya know.

The customer is not always right, i am not letting customers walk all over me over something as small as a dot at the top of an i lol

Thats what I try to say but everyone loves to disagree. The customer IS NOT always right, and most of the time they are always wrong. They have 0 design skill or marketing experience. They don't see it from a customer or outside point of view. They only have tunnel vision and that is the first mistake. A good designer or sign maker will explain to the customer that it would be better this way instead of their way. Most of the time the customer will agree, not because they do, but because they don't have a clue either way. lol

Guest manwayvan

Hey toolman you mind shooting me a pm with the prices they have on that metal and what guage it is. Glad to see your stayin busy, I figured Deaton Was runnin that place from all the ones I see when I am over there.