cegglestn

for those with usb only connections and SB freezing please read....

I have an older pcut with usb only connections and a laptop with only usb connections.  I ran into problems with SB freezing and vinyl being wasted.  I have used my cutter in the past without a stand, was on a table, I purchased a stand because it was more practical and easier.  I got the stand mounted the cutter on it and purchased a new laptop.  This is when all the problems started.  I thought it was the new laptop since my old cpu had the registered copy of SB on it and with the laptop i was using the trial version.  Problems occured with SB and the Cutter for months, so I finally dug out my old cpu and hooked it up and yep even with the registered copy of SB it kept freezing and vinyl being ruined.  So I troubled shooted and searched the forums for help, even contacted uscutter support.  With no luck and SB freezing all the time, I thought to take the cutter off the stand and put it back on the table for now to see if that made a difference.  Sure as Sheeet it didnt freeze up all day cutting up an order of 400 decals with cutting 50 at a time.  So the problems must of been when the cutter was grounded, I read the forums when people suggested grounding the cutter I just had to laugh because when the cutter is mounted to the stand via the screws it becomes grounded, metal stand, metal screws hmmnn.  Anyways with people having bad luck and with SB freezing all the time take it off the stand and put it on the table and see if that works for you because it def. worked for me.  Headed down to home depot and im gonna make a wooden stand.

egg

I hate to say it, but i have 4 cutters and have never attached a ground wire to any of them, and never any problems. And to beat it all, I live in an 80 year old house with no grounded 3 prong outlets.

Go figure.

all i can say is it had to do something with the stand, as soon as I took the cutter off the stand all the freezing problems dissapeared :thumbsup:

The refine I had did not have screws holding it to the stand so that is why the ground wire worked.  What machine do you have?

unbefreakinleavable, that is the answer everyone, I just tried my cut 55" long cut on the stand and it screwed up every time at different points (I took the vinyl out after the first 2 screwups. took it off the stand and put it on the floor and it test cut the entire thing twice no flaws. I now believe the stand is only for holding purposes for the cutter so you can put vinyl under it. John I know you have a whack of cutters in an old house but this works, so anyone having issues with freezing take it off the stand and slap that baby on the floor and it WILL work fine. Although it is kind of a pain finding a place to put a 51" cutter on the floor but I just cleared my kitchen out..

Previously with these problems I have followed the great instructions from this group as far as grounding it, so I grounded the cutter to the stand to the radiator and it still screwed up. Im just so happy I can cut this and not be late with this job.

Wayne

makes me wonder if the screws for the stand are running into something inside the plotter?

bb

My house was built in 1944. My whole house is wired on one 20 amp breaker. Like John, I have never put a ground wire on any cutter. But, with carpet on my floor, the last thing I would do is put any one of my cutters on the floor! That's a good way to zap a motherboard just walking by it with static built up in the carpet.

True enough! yipes good point, I better say that where I put mine is on the tile in my kitchen, not on carpet. Obviously I have some issue with my stand I just dont know what it is. I would rather not use the floor method if I didnt have to.

Wayne

makes me wonder if the screws for the stand are running into something inside the plotter?

bb

The Refines don't screw to the stand they just sit on rubber feet - I would wonder if you scraped a little paint on the stand under the screw to make a good ground to the stand