Sign in to follow this  
MM2

Clean cut

Hi guys, I have a problem with my MH721. When it cuts, the lines are not clean and neat as when I had some work done elsewhere. The cuts are all ruffled and it doesn't even cut through the vinyl all the way through. And also if somebody has a more detailed and better translated version of the manual, let me know too.  :huh:

If you are trying to do a design that is small,and you enlarge it,you lose a lot of line quality.The greater the enlargement,the lines become really jagged.I've seen it the most on jpg files.And the resolution of a design is another factor in the cut quality.On my cutter,I take a small piece of vinyl and set the blade to where there is just enough of the tip to cut through the vinyl with just a little pressure with my hand.Then I usually set the down force at 20 to 30 g's and it cuts great.I have been using mostly 3.2 mil calendered vinyl lately,and those settings work for me.As far as a manual,I could not say.

Bill

You can go here for the online version of the manual.But it's pretty much the same as the instructions you recieve with your cutter.

http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=3

Thanks Bill, you shed some light to my problem and the result is a bit better. I reduced the force to 30g and the line looks cleaner. I still have the problem that it doesn't cut all the way through so the application is a nightmare since there are sides that are just perforated or worse, and others are ok. I have doubts if I installed the blade correctly. I think I did, but judging by the result, it makes me wonder. I also have doubts if this cutter is capable of what I am expecting, or there are more sophisticated models that "really" cut. Any other advice/opinion will be more than welcome. Thanks

I think the best way to adjust the blade is to take a scrap piece of vinyl you are going to use for the job,and set the blade at the depth you think it should be.Then press the test button on the cutter.You can move the vinyl back and forth and just keep testing until the blade is cutting through the vinyl and leaving a line mark on the backing sheet,but not going all the way through.You might check your software and see if you have an option to specify an overlap.That way the blade will cut how ever much you specify past the end of the fill,or circles.I have even set mine to run a very shallow cut,with 2 passes around the entire design.I think if you play with it a little,you will find that these cutters really cut.At least I have had no problem with mine,and I have logged many many cutting and plotting hours on it in a very short time.You have to check your design for those tiny holes and lines through the design.The low resoultion graphics tend to leave a stipple pattern when converted.And when the cutter tries to cut the pattern,it just looks like an area of dots.The crab art I posted was from a low resoultion pic,and it has a stipple design covering 40% of the design.It's a nice effect when you are doing a plot,but the cutters just can't cut those small circles.Or maybe it's just that I don't want to try because I don't like to spend an hour weeding a design.It may help your cuts if you slow down the cutter as well.If it's running at 24 i.p.s. or better,it tends to skip across the smaller cuts rather than actually cutting them.

Bill