jd_design

MH871 - weeding small letters

Has anyone had problems weeding small text that has been cut on a Refine series cutter?

Seems the cutter isn't finishing the path completely (see pic below.) So when weeding the punctuation marks and edges on certain letters wants to pull up off the backing paper.

Maybe it's a design issue, the machine having stepper motors instead of servo. I know my little Roland Stika machine can cut small letters perfectly.

The text size is 48 pt on screen, measures about 3/8" tall when cut.

I'm using Oracal 651 intermediate cal. I know calendared isn't always the easiest to work with, but I imagine I'd be having the same issue with cast.

Oh, also I did check the blade distance inside the holder, it's where it should be. I also ran three tests on cutting force, 100-300 and the same issue on all settings.

post-7113-12986550105735_thumb.jpg

post-7113-12986550120893_thumb.jpg

What offset are you running in the machine, norally you can get the letters to close by tweaking the offset until its perfect.

What offset are you running in the machine, norally you can get the letters to close by tweaking the offset until its perfect.

+1

Excellent!  :D  That worked. I had it set to zero, then tried +1. The edges of the text was distorted so I tried +0.5 and it worked great.

+0.5 offset, 70g of force, 16/in sec.

Thanks!

Excellent!  :)  That worked. I had it set to zero, then tried +1. The edges of the text was distorted so I tried +0.5 and it worked great.

+0.5 offset, 70g of force, 16/in sec.

Thanks!

X2 on this, I have a logo I'm cutting (real small text with overall size 1.25 x 6") that was literally taking 2-3 minutes per decal to pull the initial boundary off the letters and having to hold down differet letters, find the commas, etc.  Swapped the blade offset to .5, way better, .3, even better, and .2 they peel without me holding anything down.  Literally a 1000% improvement, makes 200 decals doable instead of giving me nightmares. 

Great tip.

Also, good vinyl is not just for the customer, it makes life so much easier for you and me!  I bought 12 different colors from a ccworkshop or something on ebay, all but the black and white was a chinese brand, calendared probably 3mil+ and is very tough to work with.  Fine for big stuff, but weeding small letters, no way.  I cut 100+ small (6") car decals with text and after struggling with the first couple threw away 24" x 4 feet of the crap and bought a roll of greenstar.  It just isn't worth the small savings.  Not saying the Greenstar is great, but it sure is better than the first junk I had.