Dakotagrafx

screen printing using vinyl

that's great know i need to see how to build the screen and drier and i will be in screen printing i new there had to be a low budget sceen printing set up

NICE... been looking for this video, I knew i had seen it here before but could not find it... Thanks for reposting this.  Off to screen print i go....

I just got done with my press, I think I might try this before i do an emulsion version. I just have to wait for payday for the funds to buy my inks and other supplies. The only thing that worries me wit this is the possibility of ruining your screens with the adhesive from the vinyl.

Kevin

I just got done with my press, I think I might try this before i do an emulsion version. I just have to wait for payday for the funds to buy my inks and other supplies. The only thing that worries me wit this is the possibility of ruining your screens with the adhesive from the vinyl.

Kevin

Not a chance.  Screens are made from monofilament (fishing line, essentially), the adhesive from vinyl is the least you are going to throw at it.  Dehazers, which are the worst, are pretty much just straight lye, and screens can take many dehazings before getting weak.

going to try it this weekend, got some ink, just do not have the flash dryer, but i read somewhere that you can use a heat gun as well, not sure how that would work but will try that or my heat press.  Will see how it goes.  I don't have the emulsion yet but got the screens and press.  This would be a cheap way to give it a try i guess.  Have to work on getting a flash dryer.

The heat gun can work in my experience. But if not completley dry, it will come off in the washer  (onto your other clothes ).  I did this method for a long time.  We used the oven too    We did this method for transfers too, transfers that you transfer to fabric with a heat press

If you use plastisol inks you should cure with your heatpress if you don't have a flash dryer, a heat gun will dry inconsistently.

If you use waterbased inks they'll air dry, and you can use the heatpress to set the ink.

I know nothing about this but from reading this is what I've gathered.  :D

plastisol can remelt with heat ( that is how hot, cold peel plastisol transfers work )

Water based is permanent, softer feel, more transparent ( white ) dries using water evaporation, so when the water evaporates in the ink, it is set.

Both are great fun.

:D

I have read in several threads on several boards that you can cure plastisol with your heatpress, but no one gives any specs, to get started. anyone have time temp setting that have worked for them?

Kevin

I have read in several threads on several boards that you can cure plastisol with your heatpress, but no one gives any specs, to get started. anyone have time temp setting that have worked for them?

Kevin

I would like to know the temp setting also.  ;)

Plastisols cure at ~330F, so I'd go from there up.  Most plastisol transfers are between 345F and 375F, depending on the dwell time and the type of transfer, so that's a pretty good basis.

It's really just a trade-off between higher temp vs longer dwell time.  If your garment can handle it, go 375 for less time.  If not, go lower temp at a longer dwell time.  Obviously, the ink has to reach ~330F all the way through.  Do wash tests.

Thanks so much for posting this! We have 2 screenprinters - one of them is a little portable (craft-rated) one and we can carry it with us to trade shows along with our vinyl cutter and heat press now to do custom shirts! And we figure we can use vinyl for the non-complex designs, we can pump out up to 100 shirts per hour on the big one...

I do this at my retail store and on the road.  Only thing you have to watch  is once you get into  real real detailed stuff the vinyl will peel off and youll have to use emulsion.  Besides that it works great and you dont have to have an exposure box taking up space.

Kevin

I would say to go by the ink manufacturer's directions as far as temperature (I think the inks I have say they cure at 325*F) and time (again I think mine say 20 seconds).  There are 2 ways I have read to do it:

1.  put the printed shirt up on your press, and bring the platen down to 1/2" or so from the shirt, and hold it in place for the 20-30 seconds (not touching the ink or shirt).  I have a couple small wood blocks that are about 1/2" high, and I just bring the heat platen down so they touch, that way it's the same every time.

2.  use a heat gun to flash dry the ink, then actually bring the platen down, and close the press like you would in heat transfer.  You can use either the teflon sheet, or I have tried using a piece of the backing paper from regular sign vinyl.  That makes it *really* smooth, more so than I like, but it's another method you can experiment with.  

Kevin

2.  use a heat gun to flash dry the ink, then actually bring the platen down, and close the press like you would in heat transfer.  You can use either the teflon sheet, or I have tried using a piece of the backing paper from regular sign vinyl.  That makes it *really* smooth, more so than I like, but it's another method you can experiment with.  

If you use a piece of parchment paper, it won't make the ink as shiny.

who here actually screen prints? i have someone who wants some t-shirts and hoodies but i dont know if anyone here actually does that.  :thumbsup: