sarconastic

fire paramedic coats- heat press?

My Sister in Law brought me the tag out of a Firefighters coat, They are wanting me to add the fire department logo to them. But I am not sure if i can heat press on it or what I have to use, since it's a fire coat. I figured vinyl would just melt in a fire.

My screen press isn't done yet so that's not an option, but even if it was i still don't know what to use for graphics on them.  The tag say Class III Photometric performace level 2 100% polyester and says do not Iron.

ANy ideas for me on this?

Kevin

I am not sure embroidery would be good - to compress the area of the embroidery.  the insulation might require the air gap to work properly.  and if it says don't iron that leaves out heat pressing anything on it . . . . sounds like screen printing might be the only way to go

When I was a Detective and Arson Investigator I was issued a turnout coat with the words police on the back.  If I remember correctly it was sewed on.  I think you have to be careful not to damage the coats barriers though ?

But that was many many moons ago in New York before moving to Florida in 1989  :angry: >:(

My turnout coat has a patch with the letters on, it is the same material as the striping on the coat and it had to be sewn on with nomex thread otherwise it would never last.

You can put additives in plastisol inks to get it to cure at a lower temp (~300F vs 330F+), but I would still be a bit hesitant to do it without a very precise curing system.

Vinyls like Tflex Xtra only require a temp/dwell of 315F/4 secs, so that would be around the same, and easier to control.

I don't think I would touch them until I talked with the jacket manufacturer on acceptable printing methods.  Either vinyl or plastisol could affect the performance of the material, and that isn't a chance you want to take..  In a fire, both vinyl and plastisol is going to heat up and melt..

That's what I was thinking. I am not doing anything until I have the facts, and a written release/auth from all parties involved.

Kevin

Don't mess with it. Any alterations not approved by the manufacture will void the warranty. Also if a firefighter were to be hurt or killed in gear that no longer complied with NFPA standards due to unapproved alterations that firefighters family will get no compensation from the federal government. It's not worth it.

Don't mess with it. Any alterations not approved by the manufacture will void the warranty. Also if a firefighter were to be hurt or killed in gear that no longer complied with NFPA standards due to unapproved alterations that firefighters family will get no compensation from the federal government. It's not worth it.

This is right.  Do mess with it.  Only the manufacture can alter the gear.  I had a tear in mine and it had to be sent back to Globe for the patch work.  As for temperatures any more it is above 1000 F in just about any fire that we go into.

I wouldnt dare mess with a coat but I am being asked to add an American Flag to my friends Fire Hat Helmet thing. lol Logically vinyl will melt with heat, and glueing a rhinestone flag is a bit feminine. So without perminanitly ruining the hat with paint how else can he get a flag on his helmet?

I am thinking some sort of sublimation metal tag attached to the helmet...

Fire Helmets and stickers on them are either relatively new, or charred black. I can promise you no matter what sticker you put on a helmet it will not last. Case in point are the thermal indicator stickers that some guys buy and put on their lids that range up to 800ish degrees... They are the first things to melt.... As far as turnout gear goes, the reflective trim that is on them is a high heat resistant material, and the thread that it attaches to the outer barrier is nomex or kevlar. Anything that goes on a set of structural firefighting gear MUST be done so by an authorized repair facility. AT NO TIME should anything be sewn to the outer and inner barrier as when laundering these garments they must be separated for inspection and cleaning. The governing authority is the NFPA, however volunteer departments are not regulated,

Bruce