Sign in to follow this  
smithmotorsports99

Plexiglass signs

Hello all,

My father collects and shows antique snowmobiles all over the Northeast and is looking for me to make him some signs here.  He would like me to order the same plexiglass that is used in the two existing signs.  I'm just having a hard time finding where to order them.

They measure roughly 24.5" tall

17" wide

base is 5" and 6"

and thickness might be 1/4"

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.  I have supplied the pictures of the two he had done previously with another person.

post-4652-12986549701567_thumb.jpg

post-4652-12986549702258_thumb.jpg

post-4652-1298654971192_thumb.jpg

post-4652-12986549712476_thumb.jpg

Sorry I can't help with a source for those Exact ones.

But, you can easily make something like them.

You can buy Plexi or Lexon at any Hardware or Homecenter, get it cut to size, and then you can Arch the top at home.

Place some paper App tape on them if the factory protective tape has been removed.

Draw your Arch, then use a Jigsaw with a Fine toothed blade and cut it.

Lightly sand with Fine Sandpaper just the edge, left like that will look frosted, you can Buff the edge with a buffing wheel and rouge compounds to polish it clear again.

You can get the buffing wheel and rouges at the same hardware /homecenter, even Sears carries them.

Make a wood stand by slicing through the center of a 2x4 on edge to make a groove just as wide as the plexi you bought deep enough to set it into.(1/3-1/2 way down) Add a couple cross braces so it is Stable. Stain it with a wipe on stain and poly mix.

Hope that gives you some Ideas if you can't locate them.  :thumbsup:

American and Proud,

I tried to sell him on that idea when he asked me to do this for him.  But since he is a freak about attention to detail like me, he wants the ones that I make to match the ones that he already has.

I've been googling and searching the net with no luck after about 3 hours already.

Thanks for the ideas.

It looks like the base on these is just the plexiglass folded over. It can be done by slowly heating it with a torch along the bend line.

Jay

I was gonna suggest that as well Jay.

We used to heat and bend Plexi back in High School shop, But we had a tool that was made to do it.(LONG time ago I forget exactly just what it was)

It did not melt and distort the outside before the center inside was pliable enough.

smithmotorsports99,

You could Try a good Heat Gun and a piece of Copper pipe close to the diamiter of the bend needed, go slow heating evenly across the length, take your time not to just melt the outside.

OR-

You could Maybe place app tape on his Originals and heat the plexi across the area you want to bend then place it ON the original to use as a "Mold", that should give you a very close replication.

Thanks all,

I'm starting to realize his original guy has quite the market here.  They look amazing.  My dad is just trying to give me more business.  I'm thinking this is going to take me longer to accomplish than expected.  Glad I didn't tell him it would be a quick turn around.

This is driving me nuts,  why is it so hard to find these signs on the internet?  I don't even know what you call the signs you see people put in front of their cars, snowmobiles, or whatever at a car show.  This is a first for me.

Guest manwayvan

even so lowes should carry a substrate you could use.

When I was in college on summer break I restored a 1965 Artic cat for my father . . . man lots of work there disassembling everything cleaning sandblasting and reassembling.  Your dad has lots of patience.

Seedoggy,

That was looking really close there.  But the measurements weren't the same.  Very well could be acrylic at this point.  Kinda hard when I don't have it in front of me.

Steve,

I'll have to check out that site when I get home, it's blocked here at work. 

I appreciate all the help everyone!

Seedoggy,

That was looking really close there.  But the measurements weren't the same.  Very well could be acrylic at this point.  Kinda hard when I don't have it in front of me.

Steve,

I'll have to check out that site when I get home, it's blocked here at work.  

I appreciate all the help everyone!

companies make acrylic in all different sizes, shapes and forms.    from keychain bobs up to signs/plaques.    It's a hard material.  do more searches on the web.  

If you can't find one exact, my vote is for Lexan, heating it VERY slowly and bending them.  A+P's idea of covering one of the existing with something (maybe app tape) and using it for a form is a good idea too.  Shouldn't be too difficult at all.

You can bend 1/4" Lexan easy enough with a heat gun, but you need to heat it very slowly, or bubbles will form inside the Lexan.  Not terribly noticeable if you don't make it too bad.  Keep the heat gun moving.

After you have cut the top arc, take a propane torch and wave it over the edges.  This will melt the rough edge and make it smooth and clear again.  It will also take off the sharp edges.

I'm going to take a stab at this, this weekend.  I'm not very excited about it since the plexiglass isn't cheap compared to what he has paid for in the past.  He told me he had these signs made for $60 a piece.

If you did not try bending yours yet here is a Vid "This video segment will show you how to bend plastic using the BriskHeat Strip Heater."

And a link to another site with another style thats not real expensive.

http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video_detail.php?vid=7&format=windowsmedia&PHPSESSID=20100215184919173873939

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23123&catid=560