sdgirl

Help please with doing heat press shirts

Hi, I recieved a really old heat press. I have done a few tshirts and sweatshirts. I bought some gildan 100%  preshrunk cotton t-shirts to do up. I put one of the shirts in the press to get it wrinkle free and it left a discolor where the press was. I used the teflon sheet so not sure why this happened? Should I be washing the shirts first? The color I am working with is red. I have done a safty orange, white and grey with no problems? Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Will it fade when cool?

Thank you,

Christi

Was it still discolored when it cooled down?  When I run tees through my screen printing dryer they change color a bit where the heat was applied and go back to normal when they cool off.  If your shirt turned yellowish brown your press is burning them....

It is cooling now..it is fading but I can still see were the press went..Not yellow..more of a darker color. Does that make sense? I am turning it down and trying a different part of the shirt..do you wash your shirts before doing them?

Thanks,

Christi

I turned down the press and put just a plain shirt in there and pressed for just like 5 sec and it still left the big dark square..waiting to see if it fades all the way..if it isn't the temp what else can it be? I haven't ever had this problem till this red shirt.

It will go away.  Red shirts are really weird this way.  The first time I printed red shirts, I freaked out thinking I was scorching them all.  If you really want to fix it fast, mist it with water and watch it magically turn red again.

I've never seen an explanation for why this happens only with red shirts, but it seems like everyone runs into this problem and freaks out at some point.

Midwaste thank you so much..I was freaking out. I am glad I am not the only one. I didn't put any vinyl on them yet so I wouldn't be out that just a few shirts. I thought I would try a regular iron to see if it was my press and it did do the same thing on a spot i left it on for a second. I will try the water and breath normal again. Our school colors are red and black so I am sure I will be doing plenty of red.

Thank you!

Christi

While I have this thread up I was wondering if anyone knows where to get lettermans jackets or can we at wholesale prices?

Thank you!

ssactivewear.com Did your press mark go away? It does seem to always be a problem on red shirts. If it didn't go away, myou have shirt pigments on your press platen and need to start using a teflon sheet.

Thank you I will check them out. Yes it did come off thank goodness. I was freaking out though. I do have a teflon sheet that I just got :thumbsup:

I looked at S&S activewear and didn't see them..Are they called something besides letterman jackets.

It is cooling now..it is fading but I can still see were the press went..Not yellow..more of a darker color. Does that make sense? I am turning it down and trying a different part of the shirt..do you wash your shirts before doing them?

Thanks,

Christi

I never wash shirts first..

Like Midwaste said red is the worst for doing that...