Sign in to follow this  
tammylynn49459

Printers for Shirt Press

I just saw the Epson R1400 at a local Nebraska furniture mart for $265, those are great for transfers. They make a bulk ink system for them for $100 too.

Kevin

A lot of people recommend the Epson Workforce 1100 because it is wide format (13x19) and uses pigment ink. You can usually find them around for about $150.00 new. I picked one up on sale at NFM but haven't had time to take it out of the box yet.

I got the Epson R1800 13x19.  If you don't invest in the bulk ink system you can't afford to use it.

Bad thing about the Epson is it doesn't have a PS driver, so you got to buy a RIP to make halftones for screen printing. 

I appreciate all the help, with printers.  Now I'm gonna ask one more time for some help.....Sorry.  Does anyone know what kind of paper I use with a home printer to press shirts?

For the paper you will need T-shirt transfer paper for either light or dark colored shirts. You can find it on Ebay and many other sites. If you are looking to buy in bulk you can get it pretty cheap. The less you get it can be over $1 per sheet.

Staples and PCNation both have the epson 1100 on sale for $130 and free shipping. I got the 1400 at office depot for $149. It uses claria dye .... really great on photos too  ( it also prints 13 x19 )

I have been doing a lot of research and have pretty much decided on this deal...

http://www.cobraink.com/Printers/WF1100.htm

Let us know how it works out... I'm more interested in the ink actually, I'm curious how well the cobra ink color matches with the Epson ink... and if you need to tone down the yellow for heat transfer like you do with the Durabrite ink.

Are you guys saying that these "inkjet" printers are good enough for quality transfers?  I know the transfer paper I've seen at locals places like Office Depot or Wal Mart aren't something you would use to sell t-shirts, but buying quality transfers and using on of these sub $200 epson inkjet printers like the 1100 do that good of a job?

If so, I'm going to think about adding that to my set up.

Still doing my homework on the printer apparently this is some of the best paper (JPSS paper)  and here is a video I think he was using the 1400 which just has a few more bells and whistles and the ink cost a lot more thats why I am going with the 1100

Check out this video the guy says he is new at it and that looks pretty sweet to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xl8QXazUoc

For those of you who run JPSS......or any other transfer for that matter, are you contour cutting it?  If not doesn't it leave the nasty square of transfer material with no ink behind it?

For those of you who run JPSS......or any other transfer for that matter, are you contour cutting it?  If not doesn't it leave the nasty square of transfer material with no ink behind it?

That is correct. While I am more inclined to use IronAll, experience with that and JPSS does show ghosting where ever one doe not cut the unused material out.

I can' help but believe if you had performed a forum search you would seen that question has been answered before. (If you don't know what that's about.... I can certainly explain) :rolleyes:

For those of you who run JPSS......or any other transfer for that matter, are you contour cutting it?  If not doesn't it leave the nasty square of transfer material with no ink behind it?

That is correct. While I am more inclined to use IronAll, experience with that and JPSS does show ghosting where ever one doe not cut the unused material out.

I can' help but believe if you had performed a forum search you would seen that question has been answered before. (If you don't know what that's about.... I can certainly explain) :rolleyes:

Lol hee hee....touche and point taken.  Thanks for taking the time to answer though, appreciate it. 

I have been doing a lot of research and have pretty much decided on this deal...

So, is this one different because you don't have to buy special ink?  I guess I'm confused on if I bought an Epson 1100 off the shelf would I need to purchase seperate 'special' ink to make transfers?

Guest sciondrgn

So, is this one different because you don't have to buy special ink?  I guess I'm confused on if I bought an Epson 1100 off the shelf would I need to purchase seperate 'special' ink to make transfers?

No you dont have to.. You can use stock ink, the 1100 is pigment ink and it holds on shirts well but it will cost a fortune if you do alot of them.. The cobra system is not stock ink but it is still pigment ink, its just more cost effective if you are going to be doing alot of color transfers

Thank you for clarifying!  The Cobra ink system would be the way to go since this is the only thing I'd want to use it for.  Does anyone have experience or advice on the two ink systems?

Also, what's the difference between the Cobra Pigment ink and High temp ink, does it make a difference when doing transfers to heat press?