haumana

Is it just me?? Does Oracal MT72 application tape suck?

Please bear with the noob here.

So I've established that I totally got ripped off by the one and basically only supplier in town. I was originally looking for application tape around 4" - 6". They only 2" masking tape (or that's exactly what it looked like), so I had to step up to a huge 100yd roll (14") of the Oracal tape.

I now have a problem that the tape doesn't really want to stick to the vinyl backing paper. the corners want to lift up. Any advice??

Guest fivestar

Transfer tape isn't supposed to "stick" to the vinyl paper, squeegie it down real good on the ends and it should hold somewhat.  The paper has a wax on it so the tape doesn't stick very well.  I've never used oracal tape but I have used their vinyl and love it.  As far as the 100 yrds, that's the normal size length and you will go through it faster then you think.

I don't mind if I can get it to stick, but it just won't. I squeegee  and squeegee, but still the corners lift. It's making me mental.  ;)

curiosity compells me to ask...why are you so determined to have it stick to the backing paper? IT only needs to stick to the vinyl. If I had some that stuck to the backing paper,I'd want my money back.

;) I know it seems like a really stupid issue. I ask because I cut a few things for my nieces and nephews (and gave them to their parents to handle), but in a simple transport (from my house to yours), the application tape started peeling back and was sticking to stuff in the their bags, glove compartment, etc. I ended up cutting more for them, but was just wondering if there was a way so that it can get marginal stick so the corners won't lift during transport ... else I'll need to envelope stuff prior to giving it away.

Just one of those things I guess  ;D

When I do more than one,I put mine tape to tape side..in an envelope. I suppose a bit of regular scotch tape would hold down the ends.

Cut your corners round, that helps a bit in the lifting. Any time you have a 90 degree corner it lifts easier than if you cut it round.

Clear Choice sticks to the backing paper better. When I need to transport paper taped decals I usually fold it over the edges and use masking tape if needed. Pretty much all paper tape does that though. Rounding the corners will help a little.

set a couple books on it for a day, it wants to lift because it has been taken off a round object (the roll) and made flat.  it somewhat has a memory for the round, so you have to teach it flat.  I have a stack of old magazines that I put on them, ex. put one decal on the table, stick a couple mags on top, then I would stick another decal on the top of those mags, then add more mags on top of that. then let sit over night and it will lay flat as can be... works for me :huh:

Interesting ... Knowing my luck, I would weigh them down with magazines, and forget all about them. Hahahaha.

I have also found myself stapling the corners. Just be careful removing the staples prior to installing, and it works great for me.

wow. stapling sounds kind of extreme.  :huh:

but if it works, who can deny that?

Over cut your trans. paper by 1/4in all the way around.

Notch the corners and fold it over to the back  the sticker .

I do this all the time,I work a couple of swap meets every weekend.

mark-s