dolbyl

CE5000-60 and Belkin Home Base

Okay, so I'm new and have a new CE5000-60. I got it all working right when USB connected to my PC.  I think I heard that US Cutter used a  network based USB hub sharing device successfully, so I thought I'd try it too. I bought a Belkin "Home Base" 4-port USB hub that connects to a network via ethernet or wireless, and the thing works great for a USB hard drive. 

Every time I try to us my CE5000-60, CM2 displays "Cannot Open Port".  I called Belikn's India-based support (and spent what seemed like an eternity), and they told me a couple of different things:

1) It's a firewall issue, or

2) Its a Graphtec issue

The Plotter works great whenever it is directly connected to my PC, so I have a hard time believing it is a Graphtec issue.  We turned of the Windows firewall on the PC, and the Hub is on the same network segment as teh PC, so I don't see what other "firewall" issues could exist...

Does anyone have any suggestionsexperienceadvice on what to do?  Any other network-connected USB hubs out there that actually work (especially with the Graphtec? 

Many Thanks!

So, I called Graphtec Tech Support, and spoke to a really great, knowledgable guy (Charlie) about networking.  He said that very few printservers maintain both connections (the connection between PC and Printerserver; and the connection between printserver and plotter) well enough to permit proper communications--good enough to support plotter operation.  He said his own testing suggested the Apple Airport Express or a LinkSys "54g" ( I missed getting all the part number) operated with the best results...

So, in the end...  I returned the Belkin "Home Base" network-connected 4-port USB hub, I returned a Netgear Printserver, and bought an Apple Airport Express. I've got it working with Win7 (64-bit) and WinXP computers to the CE5000-60.

...And best of all, it all works!  :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

BTW, the Apple Airport Express even cost $20 less than the Belkin!