Sign in to follow this  
rjfox

Now were Blasting

After purchasing a compressor, pressure pot, and misc other materials for blasting and having no luck with it working-AND after returning the pressure pot- purchasing a smaller gun- with no luck of that working, I finally just purchased a small air brush type blaster.  Come to find out my problems with the pressure pot was my blasting media.  I was using walnut shells because that is all that was available at the time, and it was clogging the pressure pot and the gun.  So now I have tested my blaster using AO and I think I can like this!  

I blasted a 10" heart onto a large scrap mirror.  Now onto something that I intend to keep!

post-2477-12986549248074_thumb.jpg

post-2477-12986549248318_thumb.jpg

post-2477-12986549257177_thumb.jpg

post-2477-12986549257363_thumb.jpg

I had similar problems and posted.  LOL.  You should have done a search.  ;D  Walnut shells are pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.  Silica sand cuts fast, but is not very safe to use.  AO works great!

From the size of the mirror, I assume that you're not using a blast cabinet?

I had actually went through my issues before your post... Thats why I returned the Blaster.  Once I read your post I was angry at myself...  But I just had some spare time rand decided to give the little blaster a go. 

On this one I didnt use a cabinet.  I am looking at building one though.  My problem was that the hood I was wearing was fogging up and I couldnt see!

LOL.  Darn hoods!  Try applying some Anti-Fog to the lens.  You can pick some up at an auto parts store - usually used for car windshields.

The problem with a blast cabinet is the limit on size.  It the item doesn't fit in, you can't use it.  I've heard of people building huge (10 foot) cabinets in their shops for large items.

The positive with a blast cabinet is that it's always ready to go, inside, with a controlled environment.

When you build your blast room buld it where you stand on the outside and shoot there is no reason to be on the inside