Sign in to follow this  
DanielB

Banner BS

How do you keep up with all the sign companies cutting prices over, and over, and over agian?  In my town full color printed banners are going for $4 a SF.  I charge that for a 1 color cut vinyl banner.  Been selling now for 3.50 a sf but I just dont understand how they can do it so cheap.  I pay 5 a sf wholesale on a full color banner.  Its just a little frustrating.....

How do you keep up with all the sign companies cutting prices over, and over, and over agian?  In my town full color printed banners are going for $4 a SF.  I charge that for a 1 color cut vinyl banner.  Been selling now for 3.50 a sf but I just dont understand how they can do it so cheap.  I pay 5 a sf wholesale on a full color banner.  Its just a little frustrating.....

they are trying to stay in business while dealing with Chinese Hong Kong sellers online doing full color for $2 a sq ft.

I saw this coming when printers started getting so cheap. And it's going to get worse. The only thing small guys like me and you can offer is better service and quality. No way can we compete in the area of price.

Look in the back of the sign magazines & there is offers to make printed banners @ $2 square foot .You can out source & still make some money . Like when Home Depot started .. a new sheriff in town . I was very satisfied & happy with the then top of the home improvement company Hechingers , but they could not compete with Home Depot . Same thing was said about Home Depot, " How can they do it that cheap " . With the economy as bad as I've ever seen it , it is tough , but fast service , personal attention & as competitive as possible prices will keep things going .

Thats what I tell myself everyday as I do these jobs for less and less. lol  I still make some money but wow, like I said an honest sign business that I buy wholesale from charges more for wholesale than the sign shop on the other side of town.....its just crazy. 

Banner John, is Mark still selling banners?  I havent ordered any in a while and I need to. 

I have seen this happen in many types of business . When there is a very lucrative profit & enough business ... competition comes out of the woodwork . When technology makes things so affordable than anybody can buy a cutter & start making vinyl decals ( not to mention ebay ) prices drop . I don't do much excavating or septic system business because it stopped being lucrative . Now my mainstay is removing evicted mobile homes from a 621 unit park ( a couple small parks also ) . There is not enough work for much competition . My advantage is I can haul the good units to West Virginia & sell them while everybody else has to pay a disposal fee . I hear " how can you make money disposing them for that ? " alot , but it the ticket for me right now . I make decals & signs part time now . I plan on doing it out of a enclosed trailer at races , livestock auction & other events when I semi retire . I think that crowd will not price shop in order to get what they want right then . You might want to try something like that to get some "gravy " .

Yeah that and flea markets, ive heard a lot of good about those.  People get what they want and they pay for it because they can have it right then and there.