Sign in to follow this  
Guest manwayvan

Store Front Window

Guest manwayvan

Hey everyone. I have been wanting to show ya what all your answers has helped me do and finally I am able to post some of my work. Hope you all enjoy. Tried homemade app fluid with no success so went dry with this and broke it up in sections when applying.

post-0-12986548978033_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986548989838_thumb.jpg

Now that turned out great, very simple and elegant. I'm impressed. Not too many times I can truly say that. but def good job. Alignment looks great. Typeface is very legible.  :(

Very sharp.  I also went dry app after experimenting with wet apps.  Seems to be a little easier, which is opposite of what I would have thought......

Looks very good. I too find dry apply easier in many situations, but keep playing around with your wet solutions. There will be some instances where you HAVE to use it. If you have a window graphic that is more than just thin contour lines or lettering, you'll most likely have to use a wet app to avoid bubbles. Windows kill ya with bubbles for some reason.

Very nice work! Great font selection also! It's very fitting for the store!

Wet app works for some things better than others. with the cold weather its harder to do a wet app.

If its text I just cut the line of text into small blocks once its lined up right and just remove the tape for 2-3 letters at a time to make it easier to work with.

Guest manwayvan

Thanks alot everyone. I was really pleased with how it turned out and the customer was happy also so it was a win/win. It measured out at 23" by 41" so I got a buddy to help me. It was a little cold out but I think my wet app issues was my forumula I used more than anything. It didnt come out soapy at all more just like plain water and not slick to the touch. I have another window install to do which is basically the same same with standard Arial font so I am pretty happy that business it picking up but I am afraid that this cold weather will hinder things drastically.

I am trying to expand my layout knowledge and try to get away from simple font/layer layouts and start to do signs that really pop out but I am still struggling horribly at design due to lack of knowledge. Has anyone thought about creating a blog or wiki so that those new to graphics and design can see and learn how to layout better? I would be more than willing to help with a website or offer server space where I can. I try to make the signs that you see in signcraft but im just not there and I think veiwing made signs or having editable eps's would be great.

Then here are a couple MUST HAVE Books -

Mastering LAYOUT By Mike Stevens On The Art Of Eye Appeal

LOGO Design For Small Business

Creation-Marketing-Sales

By Dan Antonelli

And get his Logo Design #2 book as well.  :huh:

I always apply wet except for very small text,just the way i was taught I don't really know if it is better or not. I use rapid tac and rapid tac 2 started out using homebrew but I clean and apply with the rapid tac on must substrates. Use rapid prep where wax or oils, grease my be.

DAN

Guest kenya

Very nice job.

Looks absolutely perfect !!!  :huh:

Guest manwayvan

Thanks again! I will have to check out those book A&P. I had seen them for sale on some supply sites but I was afraid they wouldnt be very informative. I plan on purchasing some app fluid soon since when doing mag sets and coro's I often have to do large block punch throughs and do get some bubbles with larger vinyl applications. Is rapid tac an all around app fluid meaning will it help with cold applications or is their another recommended product for cold weather installs? I would like to get a fluid that no matter the need nor temp so I dont have to purchase alot of inventory.