Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Cutting Using Mac & ?? Need Your Input

Hello Mac-pc users,  (pc = Personal Computer)

over in Forum/ Software/ Signcut

I have a topic called "flexi starter vrs signcutpro // looking deeper"

If you are using a Mac to cut, you are using one of these programs, (if not please describe the program you are using)

Please "chime in" with suggestions, how you are set up, how well the software is working and so on.

It seems that the MSDos-pc version of flexi starter functions differently than the Mac-pc version. For those of us that don't have the budget for flexi pro, options and tweeks are needed.

Guest Hugo Valencia

in my experience signcut has less problems when running on a mac, flexi seems to have more issues with drivers on mac.

Being more specific:

I am using a MACpc, osx,  in retrospect it may have been easier to have just bought an old MSpc to use for cutting, but then there is the extra software costs, extra space, extra Ethernet considerations, and the extra maintenance hassles that the MSpc requires.

There are, as far as I can find, Only two programs for Mac, flexi & SCP.

Flexi Starter for Mac  is about $150, (with a dongle) the new version does have a "contour cut" // I have always just drawn in the contour I want, so I have complete control over it, so I don't have actual experience with the built-in contour tool.

Starter has a very rudimentary graphics set, which I have found handy for quick "on the fly" corrections and adjustments. It also allows me to select one or a group of items and send that to the cutter,

IF flexi functioned as it should, it would be well worth the cost, however: I have had nothing but trouble with it, it will not cut complicated anything,

Flexi Pro for Mac is about $2000, that includes a full blown graphics program and a load of features.

Help Desk: SAI, the one person I got to speak with was not sign experienced, really didn't know what he was talking about. The one email I got answered had this single line response: "the latest version of this software is at this link www"

Opinion: Flexi should be giving away Starter for free, as a promo for their Pro version. 

I don't see the big problem in programming for the new Apple OS, it is Lunix after all.

SignCut is a plug-in for a number of graphics programs,

Here are the current prices for your information.

SignCut-X2 3-Months Subscription  $36 

I have moved my cutting to a new(er) machine. Done a few test cuts with a pen rather than a knife, and have not had problems yet.!

I do like many of the features in the flexi interface, and I do have a subscription to SCP, so will try to split jobs between them, just for comparison.

The primary note I would like to make is this: the machine I was using: the older G4 upgraded Mac may have a glitchy motherboard, and as such could be contributing to the problems with data communications.

Having moved to a tried and true later model G4/ seriously upgraded and in use for several years, and now cutting from same, I will know soon enough if the communications problems were Flexi or the old machine, or both.

Lesson?  :-

I am glad to hear that we have users doing serious comparisons between the two. Please keep us posted.