lexiprice

Apply vinyl without a heat press?

I just wanted to do some shirts for my husband for Christmas. I bought a vinyl sample (I do indoor vinyl for homes...none of this clothing stuff) but didn't realize I'd need a heat press. Can I just use an iron if it's only for a few applications? Will it not work with my regular application tape? I might just be SOL on this one. Any help for an idiot friend will be greatly appreciated.

Did you buy heatpress vinyl?  If so, you"ll see that is has its own application "tape"  You can try it with an iron, but it may not work.  Try to press as evenly and firmly as you can.

It might Help if you mention were you are located and if someone is nearby and has a Christmas Heart would let you run over and use their heat press for 1 or 2 shirts for your hubby.

The iron might just ruin them.

I'd let you press them with my heat press if you were near.

You have to have tee shirt vinyl..where are you?  I have both vinyl & press & may be able to help.

PM me

Peggy in MI

It might Help if you mention were you are located and if someone is nearby and has a Christmas Heart would let you run over and use their heat press for 1 or 2 shirts for your hubby.

The iron might just ruin them.

I'd let you press them with my heat press if you were near.

Thats what I was going to say might even be worth the three dollars to ship it to someone and they can ship it back but with the snail mail no way would it make it, I would be willing to do it though, and I am sure there are others ..

Sorry guys but I am going to have to offer my perspective on this. First, I am a proponent of using a heat press for heat press clothing vinyl. However my orders for this are very limited and so far haven't justified the purchase of a heat press to date. I use thermoflex vinyl and apply with an iron and so far I haven't had any problems. Now before all of you get ready to reply that my customers may have not responded with issues let me say this. I have  made several shirts for myself using just thermoflex and an iron. I have put these shirts through the wash and dryer multiple times and still no issues. Now I am sure a heat press will have longer lasting results, I am not sure if the difference is appreciable between the two. What I mean is, a shirt properly and carefully applied with an iron may last 1-2 years vs a shirt made with a heat press may last 3-4 years.  Is that difference within an acceptable level of  performance. In my opinion it is.

However there are definitely some downsides to using an iron. Its tedious and requires very careful inspection to insure the vinyl has fully bonded to the shirt. Its more physical due to the continuous back and forth movement with pressure required. Repeated ironing over to correct parts that didn't fully bond. Finally just knowing you didn't use a heat press is a concern as to whether or not it will last. So far it has worked for me. I do intend to purchase a heat press when the demand justifies it.

So to answer the thread question. No you don't "need" a heat press. But if you have access to one its definitely preferred. An iron should be a last or most practical option for somebody who doesnt already have a heat press. I just happen to be one of those people. Finally this method has only worked for me with thermoflex vinyl. It may not work at all with other brands of tshirt vinyl.

There are heat presses too on ebay made for Electric Griddles on wood parts but I think I will stick to my Sunie for now

There are heat presses too on ebay made for Electric Griddles on wood parts but I think I will stick to my Sunie for now

Yeah the MONKEY PRESS. HA it seems to be a sound idea and probably works ok. But the area 10x12 was too small plus its 100.00. I may get a sunie when I can.

or watch ebay and craigslist. I saw a Hotronics go for 100 on ebay bin last week and found a newer knight on CL that was 350 for the swinger that still sells for 1200 - too bad it is over 3 hrs away

Man I troll Craigs List constantly and cant find squat in my town. But all I hear is about these awesome deals on Craigs List. I wish some of that Karma would swing my way!

I too have done shirts for my family using an iron, which worked out fine. I made sure I used a hard surface, not the ironing board, that's too soft. I used a towel on a table top and applied using firm stationary pressure ie. I didn't move the iron.  Okay if doing designs smaller than the sole plate of the iron a little more difficult if applying bigger designs to get even pressure and adhesion. I also used non stick bake paper to protect the iron as I didn't have a teflon sheet, it worked just as well.

I must admit though after doing just a few shirts I could see it wasn't going to stop there, so I bought a press.  Although a heat press is quicker to use, it is not without it own little tricks to get a good finish, especially if doing polos.

Have fun!!

I am the guy who got that $100 Hotronix on Ebay... It is an older one and needed some tinkering to get it to work.....but like the guys said... keep your eyes open and be willing to take a chance...you might just find another $100 Hotronix.  I do need to add that heat press cost me two nights in a motel, as they guy wasn't around when I was driving thru the area, and I had to wait until he was there. so it was more like a $200 Hotronix. 

After using the "real" press I can't really see how you could acheive anywhere the adhesion of transfer to shirt with a hand operated iron. But, I can't argue with success!

Yeah I am wearing a shirt I made 4 months ago with thermoflex vinyl and an iron. Thermoflex may be more iron friendly than other vinyl. I even saw one website that was selling thermoflex in their "iron on" catagory. I cant speak for other types of vinyl though. And I am sure a heatpress is better in the long run though.

Congrats on that sweet deal on that hotronix.