Sign in to follow this  
eddieb378

SandBlasting??????

I would love to get some info on how the sandblasting works. I have seen some nice stuff that members on here has done. If anyone wants to help me out please let me know. I have searched Utube and other sites but i have come up with nothing. When i say how it works I really dont have a clue to where to start so any thing from basic too how to complete i would love to see. Thanks a lot

Guest crshirts

let me look I may have a book I can scan pictures from.

Carl

check out the blasting cabinets from Harbor freight to get an idea and then you will need a good air compressor.

Guest crshirts

shows some here

www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-sandblast-glass-151799/

Carl

thanks i did find a video on youtube last night it looks fun and hopefully after christmas i get it going

What grit are you using,Thank you.

I am using 220 grit white aluminum oxide with great results.  It's quite fine, but does a great job and does it quickly.

For vinyl I'm using Oracal 651.  I've only had it not work perfectly a couple times when I was using it on an aluminum bottle, and a stainless steel travel mug.  On the glass, it's been perfect.

I've been cutting the design, putting it on glass and then using packaging tape to mask off everything outside the design to avoid overspray of the media.

butnz - what was the problem you encountered when using 651 on aluminum and stainless steel?  Just wondering so I can avoid this potential problem myself.

I am guessing that he had to blast a bit longer than normal and the Oracal started to shred. I would recommend keeping around some Sandblast Resist material for scenarios like this. Oracal 631/651 is about 3 mil, this sandblast resist material starts at around 22mil.

butnz - what was the problem you encountered when using 651 on aluminum and stainless steel?  Just wondering so I can avoid this potential problem myself.

I didn't double check and press down all the vinyl.  I was excited to give it a try and was in a hurry.  I also didn't clean the area at all before putting on the mask.  I need to try it again.  I think it was operator error rather than a problem with the vinyl.  I haven't had any of the 651 shred or blow out. 

I've etched 1/8th of an inch deep on glass without it blowing out.  It seems to hold up pretty well.  If I was blasting expensive glasses I would look into sandblast resist, but for the $$ I'm willing to risk a casualty or two and keep using the 651.