Sign in to follow this  
MaderDesign

Soon to have Heatpress

Well as most of you know, I won the Vectorfest 2009 contest and won a 15x15 Clamshell heatpress and Black and White Siser Easyweed shirt vinyl. I know to cut mirrored.

I'm looking to do mostly motocross jerseys but i'm sure a lot of garments are the same.

How long is everyone pressing the first layer when doing a 2 layered design? @ what temp and press time.

How many layers are too many? As in layering on top of each other.

Are you using teflon sheet between the shirt and press? I have a sheet of 18x20 from Signwarehouse they threw in with my order.

What is the best vinyl to use? And what is the best "no feel" vinyl.

Mader - first layer just press 5 sec to get the backing off.  I have never done more than 2.  I got tired of messing with my Teflon and bought 4 neodymium magnets that hold mine in place all the time now.  I love siser - on sale right now at Alpine sign in Lansing,mi  for 28.00 roll. yes they ship.  at some point you will probably want a TSquareit tool sold on heatpressessentials.com 

Have a ball

Well as most of you know, I won the Vectorfest 2009 contest and won a 15x15 Clamshell heatpress and Black and White Siser Easyweed shirt vinyl. I know to cut mirrored.

I'm looking to do mostly motocross jerseys but i'm sure a lot of garments are the same.

How long is everyone pressing the first layer when doing a 2 layered design? @ what temp and press time.

How many layers are too many? As in layering on top of each other.

Are you using teflon sheet between the shirt and press? I have a sheet of 18x20 from Signwarehouse they threw in with my order.

What is the best vinyl to use? And what is the best "no feel" vinyl.

Although I think I know most of the answers I am to new to be giving anyone advise LOL.  But just wanted to say congrats on winning and I think you will enjoy the heat press.  My siser easy weed comes tomorrow and cant wait to try out some of my own designs....

If you join Lou's forum you get a 10% discount off the T square I bought that plus the Logo it.  Still getting use to all this but slowly getting there.

After I press for 5 sec how long are you pressing the final layer? What pressure do you guys use?

I'm hoping this press is worth a sh*t and isn't warped giving me uneven pressure.

How many layers of vinyl is too much?

each vinyl has it's own time and temp Mader.  The Easyweed will have a sheet stuffed in the middle of the roll saying 302 degrees I think and 20 seconds if I remember correctly

each vinyl has it's own time and temp Mader.  The Easyweed will have a sheet stuffed in the middle of the roll saying 302 degrees I think and 20 seconds if I remember correctly

Exactly, each vinyl has it's own temp, but they are all pretty close.  Siser and Thermoflex are pretty close, but I would say Siser has less "feel" and is thinner.

I have never done two color, but everything I have ever said is to do both layers at the manufacturers specs.  If it's a poly jersey or something, maybe blow on it to cool it down a bit.  I wouldn't want to take the chance of screwing up the first layer by not pressing it enough and having the backer pull it up on fine lines, etc.

I just got a teflon sheet, haven't used it yet.  For the last year, I have been using two pieces of backer paper stuck together and haven't had any problems at all.

if you fully press the first layer it will shrink slightly and you will not be able to line it up right

Guest sciondrgn

One thing you need to look out for is the material of the jersey. I do jerseys and some are Nylon/Spandex and other materials and you may want to use EasyWeed Extra. Easyweed is primarily for Cotton/poly only

Mader, everybody here has good input.  Your pressure, time and temp go according to whatever brand you use.  I use Eco-film and I can do every layer for only 1 second until the final layer and then I go full time.  3 layers max, but usually 2 according to the design on the jersey.  BUT eco-film was designed for that 1 second flash time, it usually will not work for other brands.  Watch for slight shrinkage if you do the 1st layer for the full time.  Teflon is a must.  .....

mr300s .....Don't think of it ADVICE, think of it as INPUT.    You are sure to have done something a specific way or experience something that we could all learn from. 

I've seen a lot of questions about layering with 2 or more colors, so let me ask if anyone has done this and if it would work.

I've done this with my window stickers and it works great!

What if you cut 3 different colors of vinyl, put them all on whatever type of transfer tape you use for heatpress, then put them under the heatpress?  Wouldn't that work just fine without having to press one color, then press additional colors?

Heatpress vinyl has an adhesive backer paper rather than the vinyl, so that isn't possible.

Got it!  Thanks for that info.  I"m looking to get a heatpress, but don't know too much about it yet.  Learning!

Guest crshirts

I've done 3 colors first two 10 seconds and the last 20 seconds.

I only use thermo flex (local supplier)

pressure should be heavy, you will get a feel for

that with your press they are all different.

there are pictures on here of 2 color presses I have done

couple different peace signs and a cross country shirt.

Carl

What's the best material to print on heat transfers? If i wanted to print sponsors logos and contour cut them and press them onto the shirt.

Jet Pro Soft Stretch (JPSS) is the only thing that "pros" use that I know of.  They make a separate paper for lights and darks.

What's the best material to print on heat transfers? If i wanted to print sponsors logos and contour cut them and press them onto the shirt.

Not sure how well that Jet Pro stuff will work with the sublimated inks in the jersey.  I have some generic brand transfer paper, I just haven't tried it out yet. But I guess we will do more science projects over the winter.  However, I have been doing SOME sponsor stuff, with the same vinyls that are used on the numbers.  Check out the my samples page http://www.facebook.com/pages/RPM-Graphics/185332137709?v=photos&ref=mf#/album.php?aid=124401&id=185332137709  you can see the logos for Mototricks, Nineonenine Designs, ASR4 Suspension works on some of my son's shirts. 

Heat Press should be here any minute now :thumbsup: Kinda excited!

Anything I should do before I start? Kinda like before buying a USC MH series cutter? lol

Guest fivestar

Heat Press should be here any minute now :thumbsup: Kinda excited!

Anything I should do before I start? Kinda like before buying a USC MH series cutter? lol

Make sure it's on a big enough circuit breaker.

Ok, I have enough for that :thumbsup: We beefed up my office so that I wouldn't blow stuff running multiple things, We have 2 circuits for this room.

Also, EVERYTHING JUST CAME! WOOOO lol

I wish I had a camera whenever Fedex arrived, cause right behind him, UPS truck pulled in. I was like wtf? lol Both jockying for position of my driveway. Fedex was carrying the heatpress, siser boxes, and some other goodies, and UPS had my deliver for 3M Window Perf Vinyl.

Opening the boxes i was like, hmm this black looks blue haha

pics expected of your first pressing by 5pm eastern

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: