woodnsaws

newbie from NH

howdy every one !

i am hunting for information for vinyl cutting,and i know nothing about it ! i am currently a husqvarna chainsaw dealer. it's the only brand that i sell and have been doing it since 1979. with the onslaught of mechanical harvesting,and big box store sales of my own brand i'm finding a lot more free time,especialy in the winter months.my first thought was to personalize each new saw with the owners initials,or name.

whats your opinion of roland stika cutter SV15 :huh:

what's the best vinyl :huh:

where to buy :huh:

the transition from wood chip to computer chip...sure has been some wild ride for me ! but very rewarding  ;D   

william

thanks for the welcome everyone !

i guess i'm goin' with the roland. i'll post pic's of my first try.

william

Newbie here also...almost a year I've had my Roland GX-24 and I'm glad I paid the price!  You won't be disappointed with Roland!

Here's my experience with a Stika.  I bought one (SX-15)used from an online ad ...got the cutter in its original box from a guy who had used it extensively doing decals.  I had it working in a few hours, cut and applied decals the first day.    lately It has had issues with tracking and has started to make expensive noises, but I have a feeling it is plum wore out..

I went to Roland's website, found a place to ask a tech question, and got an email with a phone number the next day.. I called, talked to someone, and he agreed with me it is probably worn out somewhere.. and needs service.. I will be dropping it off soon , we will see if their service guys are as good as their phone help. It is nice to know that an old cutteris still something they  will support, and they were relly helpfull on the phone, even tho I bought it used for less than half the original price.

The DR Stika software is pretty easy to learn, basic stuff.. the only thing is it won't vectorize images you import, like the big dollar software does, and you can't distort your lettering into an arch shape.. or at least I have no idea how to.. 15 inch is a good size but you won't be doing any really large stuff as it can only tile into two panels for a job. Tracking can be an issue for longer decals too. Mine is version ONE, so it may have changed by now...lol.

Would I pony up close to a grand for one now?? probably not.. but if I could find a good used one for $500 or less I'd do it in a heartbeat.  the new one is too close in price to the real 24 inch cutters avilable now(like a Graphtec for $1500 or so...) but if you don't see yourself doing anything larger than your saw stickers,it'd be fine.

Another suggestion.. if your saw shop is like my workshop, be sure to establish a clean room for the vinyl machine.. Dust and junk isn't good for them..

Welcome from Connecticut  :)

After having a 24" cutter I couldn't see myself with any thing smaller

Huskys are great saws. I've owned a few ( 61, 42, 2100, 288xp, 288xp-lite, 242xp) ..... Just had my 242xp stolen /  crackhead neighbor (i'm pissed  :))

Welcome from Connecticut  :)

After having a 24" cutter I couldn't see myself with any thing smaller

Huskys are great saws. I've owned a few ( 61, 42, 2100, 288xp, 288xp-lite, 242xp) ..... Just had my 242xp stolen /  crackhead neighbor (i'm pissed  :))

i'll probably get to that size,but it will be a while.(i'm cheap & slow :) )

out of the models listed what's you got now?......and like best??

here's a pic of my baby,brand new never been started 1960 A 100

th_A100COMPLETE012.jpg

100CC BEFORE 2100 !!!

There are different reasons for liking a couple of different Husky models

2100 .... might as well had a chevy 350cu with a chain on it ...... heavy but couldn't stop it

288xp-lite  (24" bar) could buck all day right to the dirt without bending over

242xp ..... super light,  power to weight ratio is good and 15,500 rpms (chain speed wow  :)) I had mine running at 16,450 for a while but they dont last long at that speed (detuned it  :'( )

all I own now is the 288xp lite .......... if I could find a 242xp in great cond. I would buy it in a heartbeat

Hate to say it but I also own a sthil 450 brush saw ( Husky couldn't touch the power for the money)

* 1960 a100 never started ...... that would be like a 49 year old virgin

howdy every one !

i am hunting for information for vinyl cutting,and i know nothing about it ! i am currently a husqvarna chainsaw dealer. it's the only brand that i sell and have been doing it since 1979. with the onslaught of mechanical harvesting,and big box store sales of my own brand i'm finding a lot more free time,especialy in the winter months.my first thought was to personalize each new saw with the owners initials,or name.

whats your opinion of roland stika cutter SV15 :thumbsup:

what's the best vinyl :thumbsup:

where to buy :thumbsup:

the transition from wood chip to computer chip...sure has been some wild ride for me ! but very rewarding  ;D     

william

Hi William

You should consider maybe going the extra mile and jump into a 24" cutter. That way you can not only start making stickers with the owners initials but also customize signs for your store.

John

Since the last time I posted, I have traveled 1800 miles away to central Texas, and on the way I picked up a used Graphtec from a member of this forum.      (and  a heat press in KY, but that's a different thread. )  Anyhow, it is amazing the difference between the hobby level Stika and the professional Graphtec. If you can swing a Graphtec 24 inch cutter, I'd definitely go for it over a Stika.