JSPEK

importance of vinyl used versus blade for detail cutting

Ok, so i bought a cleancut 45 and a cleancut 60. both obviously cut waaaaay better than stock but still dont do what i want. im still pulling up fine detail on some things.....

soooooooooooo im wondering could it be my vinyl? not tacky enough to hold down? what else should i try. i have played with blade length and such but am not having the luck i want.im considering selling this machine and buying a roland now and i dont want to spend more money. is it possible that vinyl plays a more vital role than blade angle and offset?

if so, what vinyl should i use for super fine detail?

-Jesse

Hey Jesse, I am having the same problem. My Graphtec FC8000 cuts perfect but my CP2500 cut inconsistently. Sometimes it cuts good...sometimes it cuts aweful. I use a 45 degree blade and set the blade where it just barely comes out. I tried using .25 offset....20 offset. I even set it at zero and controlled the offset in FlexiStarter 8.6v, which seems to work. It is hard to cut intricate work with it. But I have notice that my blade holder does not sit level in the carriage. Also I believe that the blade does not spin freely as in my Graphtec. That is very important for the blade to spin freely. What are your settings?

Hey Jesse, I am having the same problem. My Graphtec FC8000 cuts perfect but my CP2500 cut inconsistently. Sometimes it cuts good...sometimes it cuts aweful. I use a 45 degree blade and set the blade where it just barely comes out. I tried using .25 offset....20 offset. I even set it at zero and controlled the offset in FlexiStarter 8.6v, which seems to work. It is hard to cut intricate work with it. But I have notice that my blade holder does not sit level in the carriage. Also I believe that the blade does not spin freely as in my Graphtec. That is very important for the blade to spin freely. What are your settings?

blade barely out

cant really cut over 50g force

10cm cut speed<--i think thats right. whatever the slowest is.

offset has been played with from .25-0

I dont think offset has anything to do with it. the cuts connect and are complete but if im doing fine lines or small text or even large text that has thin letters, it wants to pull up.

I bought this cutter bc of the good reviews but now im questioning this. Im not saying it isnt a good cutter, its just not doing what i need it to do. graphtechs and rolands apprently have no issue doing what i want. so is it the blade holder and bearings?

I would even order a precision holder and bearings if i knew it would solve it.

I am at a loss right now with ideas...thats why i asked if the brand of vinyl had anything to do with it. I bought some briteline from grimco..id like to say it sucks and thats my issue but until i go buy some oracal i cant say that.

How small are you trying to cut? There was a post on here abou the different types of vinyl and Oracal 651 seemed to cut smaller than any other vinyl tried. I would definately recommend trying a roll of Oracal.

Sorry to say but I don't believe it is the vinyl. I use Oracal 651, Shinerite, Permacast, and Avery. I have had the same issues. The plotter is well built, I must say but it does not cut consistent. I truly believe that the blade does not rotate freely. Also the Copam does not cut slower than 10. I never adjusted my pressure above the lowest setting. I tried everything I knew how to correct the problem.

Sorry to say but I don't believe it is the vinyl. I use Oracal 651, Shinerite, Permacast, and Avery. I have had the same issues. The plotter is well built, I must say but it does not cut consistent. I truly believe that the blade does not rotate freely. Also the Copam does not cut slower than 10. I never adjusted my pressure above the lowest setting. I tried everything I knew how to correct the problem.

EXACTLY the same thing im thinking now. just went and spent freaking 10 dollars on a tiny piece of 651 they sell for cricuts at the craft store. tried a thin lined sparrow...pulled up his tail feathers. this is getting depressing.

I saw a post on here from a lady who has a 2500 and she cuts detail designs the size of a dime it almost. I pm'd her but she never would pm me back on how she was able to do that. I guess thats top secret info? lol

If Uscutter still has that 90day return offer on copams im just going to return it and send them $$ for a ce-5000 or roland. I would really rather find a solution though. I hate buying things twice.

when I had my copam I would occasionally put some 3 in 1 oil in the blade holder when cleaning it. not sure if this helps or not but did some small work with the copam before going graphtec

still no luck on fine detail =/  been talking to Levi@ support but i just cant get it to do what im wanting. if anyone has any tips, please let me know.

just for grins try some FDC vinyl - it seems better for real small fine detail as it holds to the backing paper a little better

just for grins try some FDC vinyl - it seems better for real small fine detail as it holds to the backing paper a little better

I will order some and try it. Its about the only thing I can do now lol.

I just put a deposit down on a roland sp-300v so i may end up selling the copam very soon. I wanted to keep it as a main vinyl cutter but if i cant get it to cut fine detail it does me no good =(. Ill try Fdc

Seems like several are having the same problems with the Copam.

I'm beginning to think it was a mistake making this investment.

I've been attempting to cut 1/4" - 1/2" letters since I got my Copam a few weeks ago with no luck.

I use several different brands of vinyl and have tried the stock blade, replacement blades from USCutter, and now the Clean cut blades.

I quoted Dakotagrafx because I tried this morning using FDC vinyl that was sent by my supplier.  When I finally got a name (.40" tall Verdana font) that I could salvage, I felt the FDC vinyl didn't hold to the backing as well as others.  Lower case L's and I's and periods were almost falling off the backing when I picked it up to move it across my desk.

There just doesn't seem to be any adjustment to the force on the Copam that I got.  When I installed a new blade I followed the instructions with the copam and also with my P-Cut... the blade tip sticking out of the holder about 1/2 the thickness of a credit card, then fine adjust from there.  With the blade out about 1/2 the thickness of a credit card, I though this thing was gonna cut through the bottom of the machine....it literally shredded the vinyl I was using for test cut.  I backed off the amount the blade was sticking out until it was not sticking out at all before it would not tear the material.  Force pressures were adjusted accordingly. Still no luck.

I was able to keep making adjustments until I got larger objects to cut somewhat normally (with the exception of no matter what I do, the aluminum blade holder is leaving marks on all the material, but it seems to wipe off with effort) but still can't even get close to cutting fine details at all.

In looking for reasons why I seem to be having trouble with blade adjustment, it appears to me that the teflon(?) cutting strip sticks up above the surface a long ways...just seems a little unusual to me.  Someone on another thread said maybe the "protective coating" that came on the cutting strip might not have been removed....I don't think there's a protective covering on it at all.

I invested in the Copam because it was recommended to handle finer details.... The P-cut was working fine for larger fonts and objects, but wouldn't handle small letters at all.

What do I do now?  Punt?

I am not sure -as I used a copam for a year with great results down to .25" letters - the worst is the O's.  The white FDC worked the best for the really small stuff.

have you tried playing with the offset - like maybe it isn't cutting the letter all the way out?

Jen - need your advise - she has cut images as small as a dime with her's

Yeah, I tried offsets too.  Another thing I noticed was that in the instructions, the picture shows a gasket underneath the bladeholder mounting flange....mine didn't come with that gasket.  If there's supposed to be a gasket/spacer there, it might make all the difference in the world.  If the bladeholder wasn't as low it would mean the blade could stick out further and maybe the bladeholder rounded surface wouldn't drag up the vinyl from the backer.  But in the Chinese to English translation of the manual, they might be using the term gasket, but it really means mounting surface....I can't imagine the need for an actual gasket where the instructions say it is.

Ideas?

I can say no gasket needed.  Mine did n't leave any marks from the glade holder when adjusted correctly and cut super smooth.  that is why I am still brainstorming to try to figure this out.  The copam cutting strip does fit with a little bit above the surface and was never a problem after I firmly pressed mine down ( was cutting deeper on one side than the other).  from what I read in old post the blade holder should just about drag on the vinyl but with not enough pressure to leave th marks you described.  The 1/2 of a credit card is a starting point and is usually too far out really.  with the cleancut you should start with 30 percent less pressure also as they are that sharp!

Again JEN where are you!

really. . . .honestly. . . .its all about blade adjustment on my copam. i cut a yankees baseball logo with the tiny stitching on the ball, and it works perfect. the guy i got my copam from gave up on the business for this very reason. i played with the adjustments for about a half-hour and has been cutting fine ever since. i use a magnifying glass to look at the blade and its easier to adjust. i have the speed on the lowest setting and the pressure on the lowest setting. using the generic ebay blades and gavrielli house brand vinyl. used some 3m and had to use a little more pressure, but still cuts perfect. never messed with any of the program or offset settings ever. using signcutx2 for cutting.

thats all the info i have  :D hope it helps

I did some experimenting late yesterday afternoon.  Thinking I needed to shim up the bladeholder a little bit, I placed a nylon washer that is .062" thick on the holder so when it's in place, the holder rests on the shim, not the flange.  After several test cuts and several adjustments, I was able to get it where my cutouts were usable.  Now I have the same issue as several on here...barely cuts in certain spots and almost goes through the backing in other spots.  I'll attempt to "hammer" the cutting strip so it's uniform as best I can, but at least my shim experiment kept the nose of the bladeholder from marking the vinyl and also isn't dragging up the vinyl in the corners of M's & W's at all.  After I get these first few names cut, I'm going to continue to experiment with the shim...It doesn't need to be as thick as it is now, but thats all I had available at the time.

The project I have currently waiting on this process is part of a huge sign contract our little 2 person shop was awarded that will include glass/vinyl donor walls, ADA room signs, a couple hand-made "welcome" signs that are 2'x5' using HDU Foam, and "frosted glass" vinyl applied to 38 offices.  It will mean a HUGE chunk of change for us and at the same time, save the state almost half of their initial estimates for all this work to be done by outside contractors.  It just all has to be done by the 2nd week of January.  :D

When I look at my blade holder, it seems as if it sits cockeyed in the carriage. As it cut, you can see that it is not vertically upright, it slightly leans to the right as facing the plotter. I tried shimming it but still couldn't get it to cut intricate work.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.  With all the issues I read on here about the Copam having parts mis-aligned or mis-adjusted out of the box, I now question whether my purchase was a good one. My P-cut has paid for itself, but I knew when I bought it that I was going to use it for things that didn't really have to be precision cut.  The Copam was bought with the thinking I was going to get that precision I needed for a reasonable price.

I guess the old saying is true....."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

seems kst8catfan and I are having same issues. :D 

I'm thoroughly convinced that in my case, my cutting strip is the cause of my problems.  It just looks to the naked eye to be sticking up too far and when I run my fingers across the length of it, I can feel the variations in height.

If it weren't for the fact that my 30 days was up 5 days ago, I'd ask for an exchange or refund.  :D

I'm thoroughly convinced that in my case, my cutting strip is the cause of my problems.  It just looks to the naked eye to be sticking up too far and when I run my fingers across the length of it, I can feel the variations in height.

If it weren't for the fact that my 30 days was up 5 days ago, I'd ask for an exchange or refund.   :D

WELL my cutting strip sticks up as well. is it supposed to be flush? 1/8" high? 1/4" high?  wish we could get some solid answers.

I want nothing more than for this machine to perform with precision and i would even buy the largest one they have.

I never thought about the cutting strip. I have noticed when it first came that the strip was quite thick. I need to check to see if it you go down further.

If it weren't for the fact that my 30 days was up 5 days ago, I'd ask for an exchange or refund.   :thumbsup:

WELL my cutting strip sticks up as well. is it supposed to be flush? 1/8" high? 1/4" high?   wish we could get some solid answers.

I want nothing more than for this machine to perform with precision and i would even buy the largest one they have.

I think what bothers me the most is the fluctuation (waviness) of the strip....run your fingers down the length of it...I can bet you'll feel what I'm talking about (all the highs & lows) on yours.