prestonservco

New Sandblasting Setup

Here's what I've been up to for a couple days.  Installing/Setting up an air compressor and sandblast cabinet.  I can't wait to start etching glass.

post-5656-12986547908059_thumb.jpg

post-5656-12986547918526_thumb.jpg

Looking good  ;D

No pressure pot ? You'll need it soon, but seems like you have a big enough compressor.

Now enjoy it !

The compressor is 11 CFM at 90 psi.  It will probably keep up unless I'm doing a large production run - which I don't plan on doing (yet). 

What size pressure pot if I go that route?

No samples to show yet Mader.  I bought the wrong blast abrasive, and the first attempt failed - didn't make any mark on the glass.  :-  So, today I picked up some 24 grit walnut shells.  Hopefully that gets the job done.  We'll see in the morning after I switch it out. 

When you said you picked up the wrong stuff I was hoping you didn't say, "i turned it on and blew the mug into a million pieces" talk about awesome!

Do you have that much of a request for etched stuff? Not many people around here seem to have much.

Well, here's the deal.  I don't really care if I generate a lot of business with it.  I've been wanting a good compressor and blast cabinet for my shop for a few years now.  I'll use it for many things - like cleaning up parts on my equipment.  I have 12 vehicles, and about 60 pieces of equipment, so we do most of the preventive maintenance ourselves.

So, glass etching is just a fun benefit.

The compressor is 11 CFM at 90 psi.  It will probably keep up unless I'm doing a large production run - which I don't plan on doing (yet). 

What size pressure pot if I go that route?

No samples to show yet Mader.  I bought the wrong blast abrasive, and the first attempt failed - didn't make any mark on the glass.   :-  So, today I picked up some 24 grit walnut shells.  Hopefully that gets the job done.  We'll see in the morning after I switch it out. 

Not sure how the walnut shells are going to work on glass..  Get some Aluminum Oxide or spend the bucks and get the best, Silicon Carbide.

Guest kenya

Well, your set now..... let's see some etching.  ;D

Nice setup Preston. ;D

Let me know how you like the walnut shells, I'm using 70 grit Aluminum Oxide (it works great).

harbor freight cabinet?

what else was needed besides that and compressor? ie hoses and adapters and what not

Looking forward to seeing the results.  I've been doing the chemical etch, but the sandblasting is looking to be very interesting.

A 40lbs pressure pot is a good starting point, the 20lbs'ers are rather small but really affordable, so if you want to have different grit sizes you can have a couple of 20'ers close by, and get is time to switch is just a matter of moving a couple of hoses around and you can keep working.

Well, Ok, 24 grit walnut shells don't work.  :-  I'll have to try Silicon Carbide.

No work to display yet, since the walnut shells don't make any marks on the glass.  :thumbsup:

harbor freight cabinet?

what else was needed besides that and compressor? ie hoses and adapters and what not

Yep, Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet.  $250 I think.  Very reasonable. 

What else needed?  A shop vac to keep the dust minimized in the cabinet.  Also, I installed an air regulator/filter/moisture remover - also from Harbor Freight ($30).