Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Flexi starter VRS SignCutPro // looking deeper

First time Set up and tested:  Sign Cut Pro 

(currently using: Mac G4, OSX 10.4.11, Flexi8 v2 Starter, PCUT 630, SignCutPro trial)

I am impressed with the overall abilities, but it does feel like an old ms-dos product, lacking in the level of intuitive interaction that I hope for.

I did quickly run into two glaring problems: object selection and cutting orientation.

1. from Ai, open file, select one of many objects and select send to cutter, = cutter opens with the whole file, not just the selected object.

I would like to see a direct "send selected to cutter" Not a workaround - which more or less already exists. or the obvious reworking the project in Ai, creating several files.

2. I find the round selection tool, and reselected the originally selected object.

send to cut and Preview =

A. all letters are treated like individual objects and placed on one baseline, removing all spacing. I did not ask it to do that, there is a process to select and group items for re-cut, This should not happen here.

B. there is no way to cut across the cutter Changing cutter X & Y simply makes front to back long or front to back stacked letters.

C. found the rotate tool, this does nothing to the cut orientation.

More than likely there is a way, it just isn't obvious, and don't see anything in the Help file.

Other things I noticed, SCP has a total material used calculation in the cutting window, they both have size of material by items selected to cut.

Speaking of Help files:  Note: SCP help is detailed for the software, while Flexi Starter's help is for the Flexi Pro version which covers a mass of info that is not available / not relevant, there by adds to the confusion.

Even though Flexi starter wont cut anything large without messing up, there is much to be said for remedial graphic abilities in the cutter program, Flexi allows minor last minute adjustments, is much quicker in response time, and clearly shows the cut size shape orientation on the vinyl. SCP shows a preview of the cut & path, which also requires very specific steps to make adjustments.

Neither allows user to chose cutting order, select a group and designate "cut object on left first, then next and so on" - flexi cuts objects in order they were created.

Flexi had this response for "help" when request was made, "here is a link to the latest version." end of conversation.  Not much support for their product, but SignCutPro has responses that are pertinent, detailed, and timely.

:-  Hopefully this post and answers will serve to educate not only me, but others new to cutter software, and help provide info to choose a product that best suits the person's needs. 

post-5268-12986547867095_thumb.png

post-5268-12986547868674_thumb.png

post-5268-12986547869104_thumb.png

post-5268-12986547878545_thumb.png

post-5268-12986547879909_thumb.png

post-5268-12986547880121_thumb.png

Unfortunately we currently do not have a send just the selection available from illustrator, you may however find that feature on the PC version in Corel. The object selection feature you have tried that treats each object separately is used to cut missing objects and is designed to minimize the amount of material used on a recut after you misweeded a project.

If you wish to send the whole file and then select components to cut you can use the color picker to asign individual colors to objects and then cut buy color.

To rotate simpley send the file to signcut then click the pointer tool in the right toolbar and then click 90 degrees to rotate the image by 90 degree increments and that does change the orientation, you may then select the scissors icon and proeview to see how the items will cut.

Signcut will also cut objects in order or allow you to optimize them by turning on sorting.

If I have  moment I will do a quick screen cast video later today to explain further.

In general Signcut allows you much more control over individual objects, and cutting including our interavctive registration marks, tiles, and weedlines. Play with the features a bit and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning their function.

Being more specific:

I am using a MACpc, osx,  in retrospect it may have been easier to have just bought an old MSpc to use for cutting, but then there is the extra software costs, extra space, extra Ethernet considerations, and the extra maintenance hassles that the MSpc requires.

There are, as far as I can find, Only two programs for Mac, flexi & SCP.

Flexi Starter for Mac  is about $120, (with a dongle) the new version does have a "contour cut" // I have always just drawn in the contour I want, so I have complete control over it, so I don't have actual experience with the built-in contour tool.

Starter has a very rudimentary graphics set, which I have found handy for quick "on the fly" corrections and adjustments. It also allows me to select one or a group of items and send that to the cutter,

IF flexi functioned as it should, it would be well worth the cost, however: I have had nothing but trouble with it, it will not cut complicated anything,

Flexi Pro for Mac is about $2000, that includes a full blown graphics program and a load of features.

Help Desk: SAI, the one person I got to speak with was not sign experienced, really didn't know what he was talking about. The one email I got answered had this single line response: "the latest version of this software is at this link www"

Opinion: Flexi should be giving away Starter for free, as a promo for their Pro version.

SignCut is a plug-in for a number of graphics programs,

Here are the current prices for your information.

SignCut-X2 3-Months Subscription  $36 

"Even though Flexi starter wont cut anything large without messing up, there is much to be said for remedial graphic abilities in the cutter program, Flexi allows minor last minute adjustments, is much quicker in response time, and clearly shows the cut size shape orientation on the vinyl. SCP shows a preview of the cut & path, which also requires very specific steps to make adjustments.

Neither allows user to chose cutting order, select a group and designate "cut object on left first, then next and so on" - flexi cuts objects in order they were created".

Have you gone into DEFAULT JOB PROPERTIES and changed your packet size to 1000 kb? Whatever is there erase and enter 1000,   Also change the quality to medium,    click apply and ok.  I only run Flexistarter and have for over 3 years on a daily business. My Flexistarter has never let me down.  I can cut very large and detailed designs with no problems. My business is large vehicle graphics, so my graphics are 20" wide x up to 16ft. and I never have a problem .  I am running on windows XP,  There is also optimize cutting order in Flexistarter, in one of the tabs.  You can also use tile ..  and it will NOT make cuts across your design,  it only starts at the front and continues to cut the tiles until it gets to the end of your design.  This is just an example of how detailed I can cut with my Flexistarter. This design is 20" wide x 77" long and I cut these  alot, and both sides of the car.  As it is a popular  item for me to sell. I can put any image in Flexistarter no matter how detailed  and NO PROBLEMS ever.  And have on 3 different versions and on different computers.  I have Flexi starters 7.6,,, 8.5 and 8.6   I can run any of these designs on them.  I love Flexistarter.

post-3093-12986548579784_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548580229_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548580516_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548580911_thumb.jpg

post-3093-1298654859591_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548596163_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548596352_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548596609_thumb.jpg

MORE examples of the great details this signware is capable of importing and exporting to my cutter with no problems .  the tropical is also a 20" W x 77" length  and the pinstripe design.  is  28" x 48"  everything done with Flexistarter,  and no waste of vinyl.  I set it up and cut 1 time, and get these type of results everytime.

post-3093-12986548581232_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548581649_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548582048_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548596864_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548597165_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986548597461_thumb.jpg

when I first got into the computer cut vinyl, my software was FlexiStarter. I knew ZERO..NOTHING...about cutting software. I was cutting in minutes...and used Starter for 2 years til I got Pro. Never any problems...it took some learning and I asked questions when needed..but it did all that I asked and more. It did everything the OP says it doesn't do.

that's right Banner,  I knew nothing either. And still don't claim to know a whole lot  :thumbsup:, BUT,  Flexistarter came bundled with my first cutter a Seiki  which I still have.  and I it is very ez to learn, imports more different types of files than most cutting software, and has done all I ever needed. With inkscape and Flexi you can run most any vinyl business economically.  I don't print and don't on plan it, so I don't need PRO,  just cutting vinyl has made me a great stay at home business. :D

Have you gone into DEFAULT JOB PROPERTIES and changed your packet size to 1000 kb? Whatever is there erase and enter 1000,   Also change the quality to medium,    click apply and ok.  ---  I am running on windows XP,  --- This design is 20" wide x 77" long --- I love Flexistarter.

Yes and Yes, and more.

The answer may be in this one line: "I am running on windows xp" 

Flexi may not be putting in the necessary time to make the software MACpc compliant,

so for one: I probably would have been better off to buy a cheap MSpc for cutting,

and I did not do the research into cutting programs that I should have ,

I am currently in the process of documenting step by step the set-up, settings, and problems I am having with Flexi, it is time consuming and have to work that in as time allows.

I also just purchased a backup computer on EBAY and I also purchased another  XP  laptop  with loads of memory, You can still great deals on an XP whether desktop or laptop on EBAY.  It is already loaded with  my Flexistarter, Graphtec driver and all my graphics incase by business laptop dies.  I am ready to go without a hitch. I also have all my graphics on an external hard drive.

also have you tried using the keyspan adapter?....

I also kept all graphics on a network drive.

Then it crashed but I could recover 99%. Took me two weeks to recover the data.

So now on my dedicated cut PC with XP I have two harddisks.

One is shared over the new work and the other only works as back up.

Copies each nigth. If both disks crash..........

Paco

sorry to hear that,  I would hope 3 computers and an external harddrive  don't all crash within seconds of each other :thumbsup:  or then I would be screwed also.