peteyf

What is the most common font for signs?

Hi,

I am new to the sign world, and I am making a sign for a business to be put on a window.  What is a common font to use for this.

Thanks

Petey :(

Banner come on now lol Arial needs to be deleted from the your vocab lol jk

I like to experiment with other fonts. Boring fonts tend not to catch the eye. I'm not saying go out there and get some crazy font you can barely read. Choose something fits the message or company.

Professional businesses I'd do a Sans Serif type font, keep it looking professional.

Schools and such I like to create my own font or else use a more blocky font. Change it's kerning and leading and playing around with stuff gives it more of a custom feel.

But always ask the customer what they are looking for before you commit and bust something out and finish, then have the client say, well..... I sorta wanted this. this. and that.

I do what the customers want,and it's almost always Arial Black. Plain,simple,easy to read..and that's what they want. I like fancy too, even though they are usually harder to weed. The most used word I hear when they ask for fonts is BOLD.

ANyway, it ain't what I like, it's what THEY want.

Customer is always right! lol Or I'll just convince them that something would be better, most the time they listen.

Just given ya a hard time. lol afterall it is almost 1:30

Guest kenya

Arial black here also.

I try to jazz up a layout & the customer always picks arial..... go figure.

Guest fivestar

I believe the most used font is brush script.  I know "old timers" hate seeing this font but I use it probably more then I should.

I believe the most used font is brush script.

I've been using that font more than any too!!!

It just seems to flow good.

Are there any more substitutions in place of this font?

Oh, I'm not a big fan of brush script. I do use Arial Black quite a bit though. Impact is another good one comparable to Arial black. If somebody is forking out cash for a logo or sign though, I usually go with a font that isn't preloaded on a computer when you buy it.

Balloon extra bold is another font I see used on a lot of things. Mostly windows and banners but you see it a lot.

Jay

I used Comic Sans a lot - I think it's one of the most overused fonts - but lots of people like it.  I saw these videos from links on the signs never sleep blog - I got a kick out of them - see what you think.

font conference

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766

font fight

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1908292

-mike

Click the play/stop button at the end of each video

" I used Comic Sans a lot - I think it's one of the most overused fonts - but lots of people like it. "

I have read where there is a petition to get Comic Sans barred  ;D . I like it & used it until I found Cole Casual  ;D . I do change out the capital R with a Balloon Extra Bold R .

Rodger, thanks - I'll take a look at those fonts - Yeah, those videos are a spoof on the font snob's hate affair with comic sans

-mike

Thanks Jay,  I check in to Signs Never Sleep every couple of weeks - It's a neat site and I like to see all the different signs he shows - not just vinyl, but some of the designs can be an inspiration for a sign I could make in vinyl. 

JD Iles loves signs - and he puts lots of work into this site.  I know you probably already know about it, but for those who haven't checked it out it is worth a look.

Here is the link

http://signsneversleep.typepad.com

-mike

If i can't find a good looking one i always end up going with demonized, goes good with almost anything