Sign in to follow this  
n7kon

OUTLINE ON TEXT

Can any one give me some tips on out lining text on shirt vinyl. I have never tried this before and have a customer that would like there text with a different color out line than the body of the text.

Any guidance would would be very helpful

Thanks for the help

KeithH

What software you using? This helps us to answer your question .

Signblazer, Inkscape, Illustrator, Coreldraw, or Flexi?

Kevin

I use FlexiPro, you just select the text go to Effects then hit outline. This will add another tab on your design central dialog box. There you can set the thickness, color anything you need. It only takes a couple clicks, I would think it is very similar in other programs as well since outline is a pretty basic need for text.

this is not the easiest thing to do on a shirt with thermoflex from experience. The thermo flex shrinks slightly. I didnt attempt this but my husband  did and it was a pain in the behind for him. I think I saw someone actually layer vinyl instead of cutting a separate "outline" to border the text. It looked like thermoflex on top of thermoflex to create an outline.

You can do the multi color outlines pretty easily, The trick i was taught early on is to only press the first layer for 5 seconds or so. that way you don't get full shrinkage until you press the second layer the full time.

Kevin

• Like 1

That's my question too.  lol  I was doing an outline...and the big number for the back of the shirt came out fine for the outline...but the name...shrunk before I could line it up...Thanks for the tip on not running it the full time.  I was hoping to find some kind of answer, I knew I wasn't crazy. 

If you have a wide enough outline color you are best to build it so the solid inner layer actually goes on fist and then just have the outline like you want it to look and put it over the top. If it's too thin it's probably not a good idea. I also suggest you make the solid inner part large than the inside of your outline so that there is room for error because the shirt WILL do some shrink and moving around making registration a challenge as mentioned above. This method also keeps the vinyl layer at one so it isn't getting too thick. Hoodies are less of a thickness issue than tees but sometimes you get a heavy feel if you stack too much up.