MaderDesign

Don't have enough money for those high dollar laminators? No worries....

Like most of you out there and myself I did not want to sink a ton of money into buying a laminator. I wanted to concentrate on Cutter, vinyl, printer, and other business costs and so a $5000 laminator was out of the question. After speaking to a few people on the forums the Big Squeegee kept being brought up. The word out was it was so simple and for the price it would save you thousands. So I bought into and immediately bought one. Receiving this thing I was sort of skeptical about it working or not. So the only way to find out was to test it.

First test run, layering vinyl - results - Amazingly smooth and quick, with no bubbles at all. Just use registration marks to line up and push and your done.

2nd attempt - applying app tape - I just used the holder on the BS to hold my app tape roll and just slid the BS across the vinyl and app type went on without a problem. One thing to be sure of when applying app tape. After using the BS to apply, make sure you go back over with a small plastic squeegee making sure the vinyl adheres properly.

3rd attempt - Laminating - Using 3M over-laminate and layered vinyl and digitally printed vinyl. When laminating vinyl that has multiple layers I suggest using Frog Juice because air pockets are created by the stacking of the layers and does not allow the laminate to full adhere. No matter how hard you push the pockets come back. With Digital Vinyl however there couldn't be an easier or more cost effective way to apply the laminate. The Big Squeegee does laminate without a single problem. Just a quick smooth push at a 45* angle and your done. It really can't be much easier.

All in all, I would give this item a 4.5 out 5 star rating on my review. Why a 4.5 star you ask? Because I didn't invent this great thing lol

I have asked the question and even tried laminating layered vinyl to try and "seal" the layers together so high pressure water hoses and such will not separate the layers. It was just a thought and myth proved wrong lol.

I have a big squeegee and i really was not that impressed with it. I had trouble working it ( i must be a little slow) I couldn't find a decent how to video on it, there are videos but nothing that was answering the questions i had. James (from here) finally stepped in and made a video for me that was great. The big squeegee was working for me! So I think good product bad directions (for me). I have since purchased a seal and love it, if you have the room and the means you wouldn't regret it.

Theres no need to purchase a $5000 laminator when the BS works perfect. There are plenty of tutorials and videos on youtube, on their website. I guess it was just common sense to me the way it works. I can find $5000-$7000 to spend on something else that will make me money.

Which BS is everyone using. I have been thinking about buying one. Is there not a couple different ones?

Like a straight flat one and one with a curved do-hickey on one side.

Is there a link to James' video?

Thanks.

there are 2 kinds. One is for laminating, one is for application tape. The listing I saw said NOT to use the laminating one for application tape.

I use mine for both purposes and don't see a problem why you couldn't use it. May just say that so people will fear the worst and buy another one for the app tape. lol

Also here is the video.

• Like 1

Sorry for crude viseo guys...Trying to hold a digital cmaera and do the laminating was a task in itsself. Its alot faster and easier when your not trying to video it, But you get the point :huh:

Did he change the BS to have some sort of a silicone blade on it?  Last time I saw it, on his official vids, it was just a felt edge on a flat piece of substrate.

That actually looks like a decent product.

Nice vid too, James!

I have been working on a project for a laminator myself. I have an ancient Plotter, that can't be used for plotting anymore. I am converting it to a laminator. Only thing I am lacking is one more 24" roller to put across the top of the drive roller. then it's just rewiring the controls to do what i want. Should be interesting.

Kevin

I have been working on a project for a laminator myself. I have an ancient Plotter, that can't be used for plotting anymore. I am converting it to a laminator. Only thing I am lacking is one more 24" roller to put across the top of the drive roller. then it's just rewiring the controls to do what i want. Should be interesting.

Kevin

You can find some pretty good prices on single 20-30" conveyor rollers on ebay.  I got a 3-pack of 24" rollers for $12, hex free-spinning center shaft, one side is spring loaded to insert it.

Just got my 32" Laminator BS today, took me 3 trys and i had it down pat  >:D

GO BLUE!  >:D

Thanks James for the tutorial, I need to get one of those. Seems like it would make it sooo much easier when working by yourself.

Yep your right. Turn on the music and away you go. do it all by yourself....My wife use to help me do it...When i yell for my wife to come here for a second. Her response is "Im not pushing that sled thing across the paper..

Yes guys, but your answer is.......how would you like to help me spend the money once delivered >:D

I try to get the kids to help.....and they usually do after a "discussion"  >:D

Yes guys, but your answer is.......how would you like to help me spend the money once delivered >:D

I try to get the kids to help.....and they usually do after a "discussion"  >:D

I have a feeling This "discussion" of yours consists of something like..."weed this graphic or go to your room/bed" lol

I try to get the kids to help.....and they usually do after a "discussion"  ;D

I have a feeling This "discussion" of yours consists of something like..."weed this graphic or go to your room/bed" lol

Lol James, more along the lines of, " You know how you like gong out to dinner.....OR you know how you like to go shopping......"

I would have loved to do this kinda stuff when I was younger, my youngest would rather sit w the remote in one hand and a book in the other. Thank goodness she is an overachiever in school but apparently needs to rest her brains nightly  >:D

hey guys,

This weekend I am picking up a Roland Sp-300V....could I get by with a BS for laminating graphics then contour cutting them? or would I need to get a actual lam machine? I have stretched my budget so incredibly far, that if I could use a BS for now or forever it would really make life easier! just wondering if it would work for this bc I think I read it is not to be used for lam graphics you intend to contour.

any help?anyone who does this?

The BS will work for you. I prefer my seal laminator but the big squeegee will definitely work, many people use it here. Watch the James video in this post.

I just picked up a 26" BIG Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool and the 18" Rivet/Dent /Yard Sign Tool, both used on Craigs List.  :D

Now I can Easily Replicate and Improve the Design to make some longer ones when needed, now that I picked them up used. :D

post-5921-12986548431765_thumb.jpg

post-5921-12986548432155_thumb.jpg

post-5921-12986548444734_thumb.jpg

post-5921-12986548444991_thumb.jpg