flash_design

Job pricing - How much to charge?

Hello all.

I have the opportunity to lay some vinyl on a 16 ft. trailer for the local fire co. They have the design already they just need me to cut and apply the vinyl with my US cutter machine:). After cost of materials, how much would you charge for a similar Job. I know the reflective vinyl is going to be expensive, but I'm sure I'll get more work from them so I'll probably eat the cost this time around. The trailer is like an enclosed landscaping trailer with...rivets, yikes :D. Any direction on the cost of labor would be awesome. Thanks guys.

I would not eat the cost of the vinyl at all reflective is expensive. If you want to reduce the cost to get more business out of them I would reduce your labor cost. I have seen on the forum where guys are charging 25 to 40 a hour. If you are going over rivets with reflective if would practice first, that stuff is thick.

You just might get lucky, and be able to apply your vinyl designs between the rivets.  The last trailer I did , thats how it worked out !!  It was great !!  Also, You might want to check the trailer to make sure it has rivets, and not screws. If it has screws, your in luck... Just remove the screws that are in your way,apply the vinyl, and replace the screws again.

If it does have screws and you remove them watch for vinyl twisting when you put them back in.

Here is my take on this and I might get a lot of flack but here goes:

If it's a government or private(for profit) fire dept...get as much as you can.

If it is a small town or volunteer fire dept, I would do it for cost. Fire fighters work hard,putting their lives on the line,for very little money..in some cases none at all. In rural areas,the smaller departments and volunteer departments are often operating on a shoestring and sometimes go begging for money. Sure,my time is worth something but I've had the pleasure of standing and watching while they put out a fire for me.

When I was in the concession business,firemen and cops never paid for food or drink at my stand. It was my way of saying thanks.

Of course,you can also look at it this way...word will get around about your kindness and you can't buy that kind of puiblicity or good will at any price.

Just my 2p worth

I agree with John -- if it were for LA County Fire -- pay up. If it were for the Boy Scouts -- good will goes a LONG way!!!

I am just getting started and I already have a project for the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts in our area. I also just got my free role of Avery vinyl, so my "costs" just went WAY down!! Now I just need to find a good clean scout (boy and girl) emblems in either .eps or .ai -- any one know where I can get them?

I know I have a girl scout logo..maybe boy scout. Let me have a look and I'll get back to you.

Thanks John -- you da MAN!!!!

This will be used next week -- the girl scouts are doing the gift wrapping at our storage facility this year - told them I would make some banners for the event -- you just saved me a TON of looking around.

I know I am a rookie, but if there is anything I can do for you let me know!!!

Wayne

Here is my take on this and I might get a lot of flack but here goes:

If it's a government or private(for profit) fire dept...get as much as you can.

If it is a small town or volunteer fire dept, I would do it for cost. Fire fighters work hard,putting their lives on the line,for very little money..in some cases none at all. In rural areas,the smaller departments and volunteer departments are often operating on a shoestring and sometimes go begging for money. Sure,my time is worth something but I've had the pleasure of standing and watching while they put out a fire for me.

When I was in the concession business,firemen and cops never paid for food or drink at my stand. It was my way of saying thanks.

Of course,you can also look at it this way...word will get around about your kindness and you can't buy that kind of puiblicity or good will at any price.

Just my 2p worth

+1

I am on my local vol fire dept and we dont have a lot of money to spend on stuff like this. The fire dept has help me out getting some work with my primary business, which is installing lights and sirens, and I try to help them out as much as possible when I can. If it is a large dept that has a lot of funding, go ahead and ream them a new one. But just do it discreetly. :angry:

I am also a volunteer fire fighter. The city has just purchased another used fire engine. My partner & I were asked to come up with a layout of the graphics for the engine. We are planning on charging our cost for the vinyl and maybe some small amount for our time.  It is true volunteer fire depts. do not have a lot of $, and I think the advertising will make up for the loss of money for our time in the long run. Attached are a few pictures, we still have more work to do.  We would like to see the trailer when you are done.  thanks, cas26rr

post-1413-12986513673151_thumb.jpg

post-1413-12986513673621_thumb.jpg

post-1413-12986513674162_thumb.jpg

post-1413-12986513688315_thumb.jpg

post-1413-12986513688615_thumb.jpg

post-1413-1298651368888_thumb.jpg