prancer77

Where do I Start?

Hello Folks, I would say I'm new to this but that would be an understatement.

I have a motor sports shop and I'm looking to print my own decals/stickers to put on my dirt bikes and ATV.  I'd like something I can design or type on a computer, such as my company name, and feed a "vinyl cutter" type machine, so it can cut out the pattern or font on the piece of vinyl.  I can then take of the backing and apply to the machine.  What do I need to do this? 

Will it be much more to get something that can do multi-colors?

Is a vinyl cutter capable of printing also? Of just cutting a piece of vinyl in different shapes?

Thanks...

Bob

If you are purchasing a US Cutter, this machine is capable of doing alot of things.

Its main purpose is to Cut vinyl as you would like, basically just like you said, you type letters into the program and send it to the machine, and its cuts it out of vinyl... Of course you will have to weed (remove unwanted vinyl from around the letters) the vinyl then install application tape, the you could apply it to anything that you would like.

The machine itself is no capable of printing, however it is capable of doing multi colors.  You can get multi colors from layering the graphics.  Browse the tips and tricks section to see what myself and others are doing with just these machines.

you can also see my video of making multi colored graphics here

The program that i believe that comes with these plotters for cutting is sign cut. you can also design images with inkscape (free program)

Honestly speaking on my experience, getting into the vinyl cutting is a very trying experience.  You will have issues.  You just got to know that keep trying and you will achieve the results that you want... Reminds me of an old saying "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."  It is not super hard tho, just getting used to everything is the hardest part.  You will have issues with aligning the vinyl, blade depth, downforce, etc. then there will be designing issues that you need to work around.  It can be very nerve racking at first, but if you stick with it, you will find it a very enjoyable experience.

Please, by no means am I trying to scare you into not getting into the vinyl cutting business, I just want to re-assure you that the problems that ALL of us have encountered quickly will become second nature based on experience and trial and error.

You really came to the right place for getting started, myself and alot of other sesoned vinyl cutters are here to assist with any troubles that you may come across.

About the vinyl printers, if you want to purchase something that can do multi colors, as in, several diffrent colors on a single piece of vinyl, I.E. photos, gradients, etc. and you want it to be durable, you are looking at investing a few thousand of dollars into a wide format machine.  Then you also have to consider the cost of the inks, and make sure that you are using the correct inks for the desired application and so on.  I personally do not have a vinyl printer and solely rely on my vinyl cutter.  If you are just getting into the business and want to cut out shapes, images, decals, signs, banners, logos, lettering, etc... then this is the machine for you to start out with.  Alot of people have made alot of money with there machines and are very happy with them. 

Good luck if you do decide on this machine as this is of the highest quality for the price.

And please, dont hesitate to ask questions, there are alot of people here that enjoy helping others here on this forum.

Very well said Tater ! ! ! !  Keep it up brother !!

and we all are here to help as tater mentioned....

BEARDOWN

Thanks for your quick response, I can?t tell you enough how informative this was! 

Your description of cutting out shapes, images, decals, signs, banners, logos, lettering, etc is exactly my need.  I really like the video, its brings the point home about multi-color decals.  I have some additional question before my purchase.  Would you mind if I imposing again for more questions??thanks

1. What model machine is moderately priced to do this? What would one expect to pay for it?

2. When I buy the vinyl, does the ?application tape? come with it? 

3. Is US cutters a store? can I buy from them.  or do you know of a good store or website to buy all this?

4. I would think vinyl comes in different sizes, how big can the machine fit (8-1/2 x 24 or bigger)

5. Programs: will the machine come with the software & Inscape program?

6. All designs can be done with a computer...right, just click ?print? and it sends info. to vinyl cutter?

Thanks again

Bob

1. What model machine is moderately priced to do this? What would one expect to pay for it?

Most people purchase there machines thru ebay to get a really good deal, you can find machines from user selltopia http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZselltopia and uscutter http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZuscutter These machines are very well priced for the quality, you can also purchase a name brand machines like a roland or a graphtec, but the uscutter machines are just as good.

2. When I buy the vinyl, does the application tape come with it? 

No. You will have to purchase this seperately, There are several tapes avaliable also known as pre-mask.  I personally like R-Tape and dislike Transfer-rite, A good tape is something with medium to high tack, and it comes in clear or regular.

3. Is US cutters a store? can I buy from them.  or do you know of a good store or website to buy all this?

Yes, Its an online store and I do not know if they have a store front, it is at http://www.uscutterdirect.com I believe that you are able to pick up these machines at there location in Washington but am not sure.  They sell machines and parts, and not supplies that I know of.  Most people purchase there vinyl localy by looking in the yellow pages for sign supplies or blueprint supplies.  There are also alot of websites that sell vinyl, like ordway sign supply, or fedders.  I personally use FDC vinyl due to that it is resonably priced and have always had very good results

4. I would think vinyl comes in different sizes, how big can the machine fit (8-1/2 x 24 or bigger)

This is depending on the size of the machine.  I have a 25 inch machine that accepts 24 inch wide vinyl... I believe that the length is unlimited as i have cut 10 foot long pieces without a problem.  Also, it will cut as small as a 2 inch strip if you would like... This is because these machines use tension rollers that hold the vinyl down, so your size is just simply limited to the width of your machine.

5. Programs: will the machine come with the software & Inscape program?

The machines come with SignCut and Inkscape to design the images.  However, will all software, there is a learning curve... I personally have very limited experience with either program... I use WinPCSign, simply becuase it is what I am used to.

6. All designs can be done with a computer...right, just click print and it sends info. to vinyl cutter?

It is pretty much that easy with lettering... When you are trying to convert an image to be cuttable (vector Image), it can get a little complicated.  Trial and error, and dont give up.  It will work... as like I mentioned before, I really have very limited experience with the software that comes with the machine, but most people on here have used those programs, and are always here to help with particularly software issues.