Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Shinrite WARNING!

FYI

Just pulled all the decals off my racecar to redo them and every spec of the adhesive stayed on the car. I tried with and without a heat gun and the adhesive stayed on both ways. It is coming off with rubbing alcohol but will take a lot of time. I also tried nail polish remover and Gumout carb cleaner but the alcohol is working the best.

Some of the stuff that I did with 3M and some with BGS pulled off without leaving any residue.

The moral is don't use Shinrite on anything you might want to remove it from.

My understanding is that Shinerite is made by General Formulations.  Our GreenStar product is not made by General Formulations, so it may or may not exhibit this behavior.

My understanding is that Shinerite is made by General Formulations.  Our GreenStar product is not made by General Formulations, so it may or may not exhibit this behavior.

May or May Not?;D?

I've had the same thing happen with various brands including Oracal. It depends on a lot of factors. The adheseive is meant to be permanant. I am happy that it is. I would rather spend some time removing adhesive than replacing signage that didn't stick.

Was the vinyl curling and peeling and needed to be replaced?

Or were you just changing it because you have your own cutter and can without it costing you much?

IF it were PEELING and CURLING, FAILING to Adhear within its Specs., then I could see a "Warning".

But Not because you want to swap out your race cars vinyl and are mad you gotta do a little work to clean it off before installing the next incarnation of vinyl.

Around here shops get $75.00 Per Hour for Removal of old vinyl, from signs or trucks, enclosed trailers, cars, don't matter it's not free to remove the old stuff, and theres good reason it's $75.00 an hour, because it is a PITA to remove it all.

If that was a paying customers car I don't think you would be complaining about getting paid $75.00 an hour to remove the glue. lol ;D

BTW they Do make stuff to help ease the removal. Plastic razor blades, lil' chiclers, power removers, chemicals.

https://www.earlmichcatalog.com/xcart/home.php?cat=689

Rapid Tac sells Rapid Remover - Rapid Remover

An adhesive remover formula designed to aid the removal of adhesive left from lettering, graphics and decals. In most cases will not harm automotive or plastics.

https://www.earlmichcatalog.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17048&cat=607&page=1

Some of the spray removers you spray on before you remove the lettering letting it soak to loosen the adhesive up making it easier to remove. Others you remove the vinyl first.

Look into some of these if you plan of relettering your stuff often they will make it alot easier on you and your customers. ;D

I've had the same thing happen with various brands including Oracal. It depends on a lot of factors. The adheseive is meant to be permanant. I am happy that it is. I would rather spend some time removing adhesive than replacing signage that didn't stick.

+1

good old brake paarts cleaner take that glur right off and will not hurt the paint and if you use alot i makes you feel a little gooffy.  lol

I can't remember what brand my adhesive remover is, but I think I just got it at Ace Hardware or something. It's a spray can and it works well. Goo gone works good too.

My adhesive remover works great, just spray it, let it sit of abour 30 secs, then take a plastic razor blade to it. Gasoline works well too, but it can likely break down the substrate.

Was the vinyl curling and peeling and needed to be replaced?

Or were you just changing it because you have your own cutter and can without it costing you much?

IF it were PEELING and CURLING, FAILING to Adhear within its Specs., then I could see a "Warning".

But Not because you want to swap out your race cars vinyl and are mad you gotta do a little work to clean it off before installing the next incarnation of vinyl.

Geez the ethics cop is on duty.

Most of the decals were sticking okay but they have only been on for about 3 months so it's not a testament of longevity. The one layered decal had the top layer peeling so the vinyl was NOT sticking to itself as well as it was to the car.

I was able to remove all the adhesive with rubbing alcohol with no paint damage so it's not the end of the world, just extra work. As stated above, I had some 3M and BGS on the same vehicle that stuck just as well but pulled off clean.

I never said I was angry about anything! I was just warning folks that use the product it may take extra work to remove if that is their intended purpose. Use the information as you wish.

It also may depend on how long the vinyl was on there, as well as how hot the vinyl may have gotten sitting in the sun.  If it was only on there for three months.... ;D

Denatured alcohol will probably work better than rubbing, for future reference.  Definitely a plastic razor blade too.

i have my car lettered up in bgs and what i have removed has come right off with no glue sticking to the car coms off clean after a year in the sun all summer. you can go to wal-mart and buy a can of oop's it works great i used it on a 02 dodge i had that had the sport kit with graphics on it that were falling off but was leaving all the glue behind the oops took it right off....

for what its worth..  :thumbsup: for me 91 % medical alcohol works a lot better than regular 70% alcohol and is a lot cheaper than denatured alcohol. I get mine at walmart in pharmacy section. Its only a little higher than 70% but worth it 2 me. I use both. Get out the 91 if its being stubborn with 70. :huh: