Sign in to follow this  
dunfool

sublimation vs. cromablast

ok.. im still having questions with the two technologies. I am looking to do color prints on shits, mugs, and other substrate. Sights are saying you can only sublim on poly garments and that is where chromablast comes in. ?!? i am soo confused about the whole garment printing thing.! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Any clarification of these processes would be helpful. thanks

I am sure someone will be able to give you the technical side, but the hands on side is they are two completely different processes. Sublimation is applied to porous surfaces like specially coated substrates or polyester coated clothing. When you apply heat the pores open up to accept the gaseous ink and then as it cools the pores close and hold the ink in making the print very durable and long lasting. The chromablast is a chemical reaction between the ink and the coating on the transfer paper that causes it to bond to each other therefore it can be applied to cotton instead. It leaves kind of a residue that washes off after also achieves a very durable print. You need two printers for the separate processes. The printers are inexpensive, but the inks are very pricey for both. I use sublimation primarily for hard substrates and the chromablast (and vinyl etc.) for shirts. Hope this helps!

Chromoblast is more for the cotton shirt market.

You can buy an epson 4880 from some distributors (I cant think of the spot of hand) that comes with a RIP that allows the left side of the 4880 for dye sub and the right for Chromoblast.

Good thinking Oakwood, I remember reading that too, but I never checked into it since I already run separate dedicated printers. That would seem like it should be a cost savings.