Sign in to follow this  
r/c racer

I just wanted to show something I've been working on

I was at a craft show and was asked if I could do a Monarch butterfly, so I found one and she ordered one.  When I delivered it she ordered 4 more.  This is inlaid instead of layered, I find the colors are a lot more vibrant.

All because of this forum I have been able to turn a whim, (when I bought the cutter) into a very nice part time business.  Thank you.  Cindy

post-4424-12986547234657_thumb.jpg

post-4424-1298654724817_thumb.jpg

What exactly do you mean by inlaid not layered?  Always looking for a new way of doing things.  Looks great!

well, I cut it in black, orange and white, then, weeded the black, then pulled the orange out and put it where the black was to fill in the area, same with the white.  One thing I learned was to weed the outline out of the orange and then it was much easier to pick up the orange and inlay, also do this before you put on the tile, you can correct anything that is a little off, Customer was really happy, I had to ask why the monarch, when her mother passed away the mother had made arrangement to have them released after the service, so they are gifts to her sisters and close friends.  Made it all worth the time.  Oh it took about 2 hours to do the 4 of them, including cutting.

Looks great! Im still a little confused as to how inlaying it makes it more vibrant looking than just overlaying the black over the orange... seems like alot of extra work?:huh:

I found that over laying orange over the black darken it.  Yes you have to be perfect, but it's not as hard as it looked, the bigger pieces were harder than the small one, they just filled the spot and settled in.

Awesome job!

I've tried a few like that but was never able to get them perfect like you did. I finally gave up and used the layer method. I agree it looks much better IF you can get them to lay perfect. They come out thinner/flatter and look less like a sticker job.

Do you use a special registration mark to help with the alignment?

No registration marks, I just picked up the orange and layed it in the one it went to,  I didn't think to over lay the black over the orange

Thank you for all the nice comments.  I means a lot coming from other cutters.