Sign in to follow this  
bonkers

Can anyone recommend a contour cutter

Looking for a vinyl cutter to make single color die cut decals. Never used one before so I am looking for something that is fairly easy to operate, compatible with a 64 bit processor, reasonably priced, has basic software included, and can cut up to 24 inch width. Mainly looking to cut decals for personal use. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see anything in your requirements that needs a contour cutting machine but the Laser Point would suit you well for a budget contour cutter. If you don't mind spending more go with the Graphtec.

Jay

Bonkers,

Welcome to the forum!  Spend some time looking at the questions others have asked and the answers given and you will pick up a lot of good info pretty quickly - and the price is right --free!

The term contour cut means -to me- to cut around a printed image - you have seen the decals and stickers that have a multi color printed image and the outside shape cut out.  The job was done in  on eof two ways - in a printer= & cutter machine - or in a printer and then loaded in a cutter to make the "die cut" to complete the decal.  There are marks made on the print to help align the cutter to make the contour cut.  More expensive machines - Graphtec - Roland  and others have sensors to "read" these marks and make the cutter follow the contours.

The cutters we use really don't "die cut" but the results are basically the same.  Die cutters use a cookie cutter like die - expensive to make - and you need a different die for each object you want to make.  Vinyl cutters are basically plotters with a knife in place of the pen you would use to draw lines.  The knife draws cutlines.  This allows you to make the letters and shapes cut out in vinyl - so yes any machine will "die cut"

I bought the Copam CP-2500 and have been happy with if (3 years and lots of vinyl run through it) but you can get a good job out of one of the cheaper cutters too.  Hope this helps

-mike

Thanks to everyone who made comments. Sorry about using the incorrect term for the procedure I'm wanting to do and for explaining the differences. I'm gonna decide on either the laserpoint cutter or the copam I guess. Can anyone tell me if the copam software that is included with it is any better than the software with the LP? Not looking to do alot with it in the beginning just basic cutting. I assume that the copam, being a professional machine, will be able to do a better job and be more depandable as well.

You get the same software options with both I think.  The copam is the only one I have used.  I have used it with a parallel cable and have had no connection problems.  There have been some issues with connecting to USB - search the forum and read those posts.  I am using a dedicated desktop computer I bought for $50 running win2000 professional and have used SignBlaser Elements (free demo with good capabilities and just a nag screen on startup and some more advanced featured disabled - I liked it fine just didn't like the nag screens, but it is useable and will do most things you need) and now VinylMaster Pro v 2.95 - which I like a lot.  Flexi is supposed to be great, but the full blown program is thousands of dollars - the started will do cuts but not much in designing - I use Inkscape a little - it is free and will allow you to do design and make ready work for cut images to be imported into any of the cutting programs.

-mike