krys10g

Need help with vinyl lettering on Christmas ornaments

Has everyone ever put vinyl lettering on glass ball Christmas ornaments? I am trying to do it with Oracal 651. I am struggling to get all the letters to stick. I think it is because it is on a curved surface.

Any suggestions or tips would be so appreciated.  :huh:

Kristen

How big of letters are you using. I have done it but with 1/2" letters. You need to use paper application tape and stretch it around the curve to get it to stick.

Jay

Jay,

I was doing a word which was about 2.5" wide. I will try using the paper application tape to see if that helps.

Thank you.

Try heating the vinyl and app tape it lightly, it will make it more flexible. Light-being the key word.

you might try using CAST vinyl. It is thinner, more pliable,and is designed for curved surfaces.

Thanks to everyone for your tips. That is a BIG help. I will definitely try them out!

Kristen

Have you seen the new flat front ornaments at Michaels?  Sooooooooooo much easier to work with!!  I didn't have much of a problem with the lettering.  I even offer a custom ribbon - and either use my sublimation or my vinyl to put lettering on the ribbon, depending on the color requested.

What are you filling them with?  I use either sand with mini colored shells or fake snow and tiny jingle bells.  This week's project is to adhere the vinyl, then spray the ball with a metallic blue spray paint - then peel off the vinyl and fill the ornament with white snow.  We'll see....

Here's a pic from last year...

232323232%7Ffp5365%3B%3Enu%3D3239%3E8%3A%3B%3E2%3B3%3E232%3A8%3A%3B3%3A4896ot1lsi

;)GREAT JOB THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE THE FLAT PART OF THE ORNAMENT.HMMMMMMMM MAY HAVE TO PICK A FEW OF THESE BABIES UP.GREAT IDEA :huh:

That ornament is beautiful.  How are you using the vinyl on ribbon?  Is it satin ribbon?  I have people wanting vinyl on ribbon, but I haven't investigated it yet.

Beautiful work, no Michael's here, not sure if Hobby Lobby has those ornaments.

Nancy

I was able to put Oracal 651 on ornaments. It takes some work with letters. I don't go over 2" long and .5" high. I was using clear tape.

What I did is start with the beginning or end of the words on the short side. and slowly stick 1-2 letters at a time making sure to rub them down well before moving to the next. Once all were down I would then peel the tape.