Sign in to follow this  
NatDragon

Weeding Small Letters

I am having a real problem weeding small letters. It seems like there are a lot of "catches" on the letters. I am using a new 60

IMO its just a pain. But have you tried reverse weeding?

Pick out all the centers of letters as normal like the A, O, P, R's etc.... then apply application tape over it, peel off the backing paper and grab the outer excess vinyl you need to weed and pull it off. Normally the small letters stay stuck. Then if needed just stick it back on the backing paper. Makes a tedious job somewhat easier. Give it a try next time.  :D

i prefer the way cast weeds for really small stuff, but i love the way calendered weeds for large stuff. when i do tiny little stickers i always use cast just because it saves me so much time. you could try a software with overcut too. could try adjusting your blade offset too.

This sounds interesting. I just started trying to do decals and learning EVERYTHING from reading, asking questions here, and experimenting. What exactly does the "offset" setting do? I have just left that to default. Overcut? I am using calendered right now, maybe I should order a roll of cast. Thanks!

Always had this problem until the copam and even better the graphtec - now I no longer have those hang ups FYI.  pcut and refine were the worse.  I also changed to cleandut blades during the tie i had the copam and that helped also

Not up for a new cutter yet, but the different blade brand is certainly worth a try! I am getting somewhat concerned that I will be getting an order of about 20 of these decals and will be spending 20+ hours weeding! Thanks for the additional tip!

Checkout http://www.cleancutblade.com.  i was sceptical at first that they might not be worth the extra price but after using them for most of a year i will never use a different blade!

Price is relative, I needed a 60 degree blade in a hurry to cut some reflective and my vinyl supplier charged me 50 BUCKS for a legit Roland blade!!! (Yes, just ONE)

another tip, if you're consistently experiencing the same problem, like every M is trying to lift or something. Convert the M from text to just an outline.  it usually changes the points and where the blade will start and finishing cutting on it.  sometimes that solves it. if not, manually add in another point.  that helps a lot.  i find small circles always weed better if you add a 5th point onto them.

This sounds interesting. I just started trying to do decals and learning EVERYTHING from reading, asking questions here, and experimenting. What exactly does the "offset" setting do? I have just left that to default. Overcut? I am using calendered right now, maybe I should order a roll of cast. Thanks!

I don't know what your default offset was (.25mm for a 45 degree blade?)  Try using .15mm for a 60 degree blade.