Sign in to follow this  
Booper

First Beer Mugs

Blasted these this morning, going to a Poker Tournament at my buddies detail shop tonight and thought they would be kinda cool, mugs are from Dollarama

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

Ben

Thanks very much, they look better in person my camera phone sucks.  :thumbsup:

They were alot easier than I thought they would be, blasting took about 30 seconds per mug.

The guy at the sandblast supply place recommended Aluminum Oxide as the best thing to use but its 50 bucks a bag.  Considering im not using my blast cabinet I opted for the next best thing which was 8 bucks a bag, its a superfine sand called "White Lightening Industrial Grade 40".  I had the pot blaster set at about 40 PSI and like I said it took about 30 seconds per mug.

All it says on the invoice is "Industrial Grade 40 Bags". The bag is at the shop so I cant go look at it but I can tell you it was very fine compared to what I normally use to blast rust or paint off stuff.  I originally tried using the coarse stuff but the etching came out very rough looking, not that nice smooth etch like this stuff leaves.

i think i started some thing new to the vinyl forum instead of vinyl now alot of pple are doing sandblasting  hope you all like it since there are so many companys just poping up all over the place doing vinyl next thing you will see next is pple doing sandblasting now whatch and see just like vinyl

Well I can honestly say I wont be doing alot of sandblasting as this whole thing is just a hobby for me, Im one of those people that love to figure something out, do it, and then move on to something else, and seeing as I had all the equipment already I figured I'd add it to the been there done that pile.  :thumbsup:

Ben

Please be careful and read about silicosis if you're blasting with sand.

Looking good!!  I just picked up my sandblast equipment at HF.  Now I just need to get my pressure pot working.  All it wants to blast is air.

If you use sand you have to use breathing equipment due to the broken down silica that gets in your lungs------you will get silicosis---which is a sure fire killer

Looking good!!  I just picked up my sandblast equipment at HF.  Now I just need to get my pressure pot working.  All it wants to blast is air.

On the pressure pot there should be two valves, one that controls the direct airflow to the nozzle, and one at the bottom that controls the flow of sand to the nozzle.  If you shut the air one off and open up the sand one wide open that would be 100% of the pressure going into the pot and pushing nothing but sand out.  You need to mess with those two valves to get the right mixture of straight air and pressurized sand coming out the nozzle. Mine is with the air one wide open and the sand one at about 1/4 way open.

And yeah good idea to wear a respirator.  :thumbsup:

Ben

I have fooled with it for two days!  It seems that the hose to the nozzle keeps getting jammed.  I did have it flowing for about two minutes, but it wasnt enough pressure with the air flow 100% open...  My compressor is brand new and pushes enough, so I have ruled out that.  The only thing I can think of is that the pot is clogging up somewhere I havent seen.  I have taken it completely apart twice, and I am ready to just fill it with High explosives...  :thumbsup:

fill it with High explosives...  hmmmm that would be interesting to see then peice of advise stay clear far enough clear

LOL! If yer gonna do that make sure you put it on Youtube.

If the line is clogging you are probably getting too much sand, shut the sand valve off completely, blow the line out and slowly begin opening the sand valve until it starts to flow. Do you have a dryer on your compressor cuz moist air will clog up the pot real quick too.

Tried the Opening the sand valve slowly... Thats how I got it to work for two minutes.  I will have to go pick up the separator.

The HF pressure pots come with an oily film inside, you should clean them with brake cleaner and let it dry, that might help. I didn't clean mine and have no problems, but I also modified mine with different plumbing pieces. Make sure you check http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com/forums/index.php? for more info, and specially about the brake cleaner, because I'm not 100% positive on it, it maybe another type of cleaner.