Sign in to follow this  
krys10g

Problem with heat pressing a design

Hi. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this problem for me. I purchased some heat transfers from ProWorld. One design said to press at 390-400 degrees for 8 seconds and then peel hot. I first pressed it for 8 seconds at 400 and hardly any of the design was on the shirt. I ruined a couple shirts trying to get it right. It finally took about 50 seconds for the design to press to the shirt, but then the white tshirt hard turned yellow, I guess from so much heat?

I have several of these shirts to do and don't know what to do to get it right.

Thank you for any help!

Kristen B)

which transfer are you refering too i have been using pro world transfers for awhile and have never had any problems

Guest sciondrgn

I have run into a few like that where part of the image comes off.. From both proworld and direct from art brands.. All I can figure is that the transfer is old maybe.. I ordered a dozen and the first one out of the pack messed up but the rest worked fine all using the same time/settings

I would dial the temperature up to around 410 or so.  Also, you may try getting a temp gun and checking the actual temp of the plate, and checking for cold spots.

Also, several sample transfers I have gotten say to pre-warm the pad/platen by closing and locking it with no shirt for around 30 secs at your pressing temp.

Thank you for your input everyone. It is transfer number A13045 from ProWorld. I have used some from them before and never had any problems. I had been using the press for about an hour before I tried these shirts (with no problems) so I can't imagine there were any cold spots. I also think my temp would be right because I press vinyl all the time and I did some transfers from Howard Graphics today and had no problems.

Does anyone know what causes the shirt to turn yellow? Is it simply too much heat on it?

Thanks again for your advice.

Kristen

I've had similar problems with some transfers and its really hard to figure out why it happens sometimes, but usually more pressure is the answer for me.  I don't see the problem very often indoors, but when I'm pressing outside at an event it can be a really major problem.  So, besides the pressure, watch for humidity, temperature, & if there might be air blowing around from a fan, heater, or air conditioning.

Once you get near 400 range its easy to scorch shirts, but sometimes its just a dirty press.  I've noticed some ringspuns discolor more easily.  Using teflon or parchment paper can help avoid the scorch. 

I've had similar problems with some transfers and its really hard to figure out why it happens sometimes, but usually more pressure is the answer for me.  I don't see the problem very often indoors, but when I'm pressing outside at an event it can be a really major problem.  So, besides the pressure, watch for humidity, temperature, & if there might be air blowing around from a fan, heater, or air conditioning.

Once you get near 400 range its easy to scorch shirts, but sometimes its just a dirty press.  I've noticed some ringspuns discolor more easily.  Using teflon or parchment paper can help avoid the scorch. 

Thanks Renegade! I appreciate the help!

Also, are you pre-pressing the garment?  Depending on your environment, some shirts will hold a lot of moisture.  This will cause the platen to drop temperature quickly and cause uneven heating as the steam escapes.  It may also cause the colors to bleed.

The few times I have ran into this it is a combination of a little more time and more pressure. pressure is the big thing and and always preheat the shirt.

KeithH

The few times I have ran into this it is a combination of a little more time and more pressure. pressure is the big thing and and always preheat the shirt.

KeithH

Thank you Keith!!!!

Guest TracMatt

I have trouble with every transfer I have gotten from PW.  I actually have quit getting them because of all the issues.  They don't stick or they melt, or when I wash them they crack and peel off :huh:

I do have a temp gun and my press is fine.  Wish I could help you out Kristen.

Tracee

This I have done a lot of. Like the others suggested, if they are old this will happen. If not, the shirts have to be pre-heated, rolled for fuzzys, then applied with a teflon sheet or parchment paper to avoid scorching. What kind of shirts are you using? You are not washing them first are you? Good luck! I feel your frustration! Let us know if you solve the problem with another remedy. :huh:

I've been in screen printing for awhile, (just as a hobby), and I also do heat transfers.  If PW is over cureing, (drying), the inks you will also run into this problem.  See, you have to half way cure the ink in order to have it transfer right.  If it's over cured the ink is drying to much and it will not transfer onto to T's.  Also here are some recomemdations on transfering.

1.Set temperature at 385

Thank you all for your help. I finally was able to get a few shirts done. I wasted about 8 transfers and several shirts getting there. I set the press at 385-390 and heated it for 11 seconds. And immediately pulled it off. It did pretty good. The instructions said 8 seconds, but that just left half the design on the paper.

I even called PW and they were very rude. She told me that my press must not be registering the temp properly (even though vinyl and transfers from Howard Graphics do perfectly) and that she could get them to transfer with no problem and she didn't know what I was doing wrong. That was a big help.

Does anyone have some other good sources for transfers besides ProWorld? They had an awesome selection, that is why I used them.

I appreciate everyone's advice. It helped me get these shirts done and I don't plan on getting orders for anymore!!!

Kristen

Just a side note. I'm not sure what you are transferring or what size the shirts are; but often daycares love these shirts donated for them to use as paint shirts over clothes for the children in the classroom. I try and never have a shirt go to waste, I find some way to use it.  :huh: